Just starting, obsessed with chroma keying

ItHadtoBeYouItHadtoBeYou Website User Posts: 7
edited April 2018 in Show off

I'm just starting with HitFilm Express and I already love it.  It doesn't "kill" my notebook even if it only has 4GB of ram. I need to learn a lot of stuff and get a handle of color grading, since I was used to LUTs, but I love it anyway.

Original footage

After my edition

*critics and advice are always welcome*

Comments

• Juda1Juda1 Website User Posts: 300

Nice done. I would just add a little movement to the background to have it more natural but keep the parallax change between the layers. 

Where was it shoot? Looks like a large shot in a Foto studio. Again, good work.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,236 Ambassador

What Juda said. Key is solid and, most importantly, your lighting on the keyed plate and background match!.

There's a Colorist add-on pack for Express that adds in LUT capabilities along with Color Vibrance, Grading Transfer (tries to apply color styles from a Source Layer to an Output Layer) and a couple of other effects. Something to consider for the future. :-)

• ItHadtoBeYouItHadtoBeYou Website User Posts: 7

@Juda1, it's the behind the scenes of a music video shoot! And Parallax is a way to move both layers at the same time? I mean, in the same direction?

@Triem23. I'm totally buying Colorist Pack next month!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,236 Ambassador

Well, with "Parallax," in Hitfilm one could be talking about multiple things. @Juda1 is using the correct meaning, which refers to how objects appear to have different speeds or positions depending on differing points of observation, or on movement of a single viewpoint. 

For your shot it just means we should see the background get larger as the camera pushes in. But not MUCH larger because it's distant. 

Since the camera move is a straight dolly in without tilt, pan or jiggle this can be as simple as keyframing the scale of the background and doing it by eye. 

The other "Parallax" in Hitfilm is the "Parallax" effect. Arguably, this is misnamed, and should be called "Height Map." This effect applies fake 3D depth to a layer based on the gray values of a second layer (White is low, black is high). This effect isn't what you want for this shot, but it's a great way to add surface detail to planea and other media. 

• Juda1Juda1 Website User Posts: 300

@ItHadToBeYou, What @Triem23 wrote is exact what I meant. A very little scaling of the background.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,034 Ambassador

Odd. Something must've changed since it was originally posted, because the top post just has an auto-addition about broken image links.  Can't see anything. :(