Importing Files of different resolutions and frame rates

Hello.  I have been looking into downloading a free video editor recently, and have pretty much narrowed it down to Hitfilm 4 Express or Davinci Resolve 14.  I will probably try out both regardless, but I am definitely more drawn to the features that Hitfilm offers in the form of affects and 2D/3D graphics. 

My only concern with Hitfilm is that in the tutorials I've seen online so far, you have to specify what type of files you will be working with in a given project ahead of time.  I have seen that this can be adjusted on the fly as you add videos to your project, however, the reason this concerns me is because the type of videos I will be editing will be a mix of screen recordings from my PC and real life recordings from a camera.  The issue is that all recordings from my PC will be done in 60-144FPS in either 1080p or 1440p, and all recordings from my camera will be either 1080p at 30FPS or 1080i at 60FPS (its a Sony a5000). 

My question is will Hitfilm 4 Express give me any issues with using these types of multiple video files in a single project?  And if not, will it give me any issues trying to render a video at 60FPS that includes source footage that is only 30FPS or render at 1080p when the source is only 1080i?  Not sure if that second question is a general video editing question or something that would be specific to Hitfilm's functionality, so I figured I'd include it just in case anyone had any insights.  

Thank you very much in advance for any and all help/suggestions/information.

Comments

• francisw19
    francisw19 Posts: 35 Enthusiast

You shouldn't have a problem; I have two cameras I use which results in a mix of footage depending on capture settings (typically 1080 24p, 1080 60p, and UHD 30p).

Just import as you normally do.  Hitfilm will show a line in the Media panel that indicates the resolution and frame rate.  I've had no issue dropping 24, 30 or 60 fps footage on to the same timeline.  Hitfilm adjusts and it comes out looking good.  The only thing you will need to do is adjust the scale of your videos if they don't match the project settings.  For instance, my projects are usually 1080p.  If I drop a UDH clip onto the timeline, I just have to set the scale to 50% to match the project so the clip isn't cropped.

In regards to the tutorials you've seen ("you have to specify what type of files you will be working with") - I think you're referring to the project settings panel.  This will just define the resolution, frame rate, etc. of your project.  It doesn't matter what your footage is.

I hope this helps :)

• Exactly the information I needed.  Thank you very much.

This discussion has been closed.