Best Way to do Bullet Casings in HitFilm Express 2017

djfrododjfrodo Website User Posts: 68

Hi all,

So, I made a short film that has a hitman in it...and I got a gas powered bb gun with blow back, so the action of the gun and the bullet projected from it look real.

My problem is there's no bullet casing flying out of the gun when it's shot.

I have HFE 2017 and I was wondering if there's a way (easy or not) to replicated the ejection of the casing.

Sound it pretty easy, so that's not a problem.

Anyone have any ideas, or do I need pro to pull this off?

If it's a major pita or will look terrible I can just skip it, but I'd really rather not.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast
    edited March 2018

ActionVFX has some free stock footage of bullet casings.

https://www.actionvfx.com/collections/free-bullet-shells-stock-footage

The video is of a tumbling casing. You would just animate the movement of the stock video layer to have it flying/moving in a given direction.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

What Norman said. Assuming something like a pistol or rifle firing manually, this won't be hard to keyframe. The casing would only show for 2-4 frames. Just set the casing layer to 3D remember to turn on motion blur for the layer. 

• djfrododjfrodo Website User Posts: 68

Awesome. You guys rock. I will try this as soon as I get a chance.

O.k. so I:

1) downloaded a bullet casing animation from ActionVFX

2) added the footage to my composite shot

3) made it a 3d layer

4) added motion blur

5) attempted to get rid of the checkerboard background using blends

The last step is eluding me. Blending doesn't seem to work and I thought the checkerboard would mean it's actually a transparent background.

I know this is sort of newbie stuff, but there has to be a simple fix for this.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

Hmm, The downloads, including the Prores, have alpha built in. I just drop the footage over whatever and I am good to go to start sizing and placing into a video. I do not change the blend mode of the casing layer away from Normal.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

The checkerboard does mean  transparent background. The checkerboard itself is a reference and would not appear in a render. As Norman said, you should just be able to drop the casing over another layer and have it work. 

The checkerboard is displayed in my render.

A few things - I had to add a camera to get the layer to be 3d. The animation/key framing works, but anything in the bullet casing layer has the checkered background.

Not really sure what's going on - I think it might either be the camera or maybe the parent layer of the bullet casing.

I don't know how I did it, but I got it to work.

With two simple key frames spaced about 5 frames apart it actually looks pretty good.

Thanks everybody.