William Turner - fishermen at sea

Alfred732Alfred732 Website User Posts: 2

My first little project with Hitfilm. Hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/4_jc0c3pqlQ

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,242 Ambassador

Even with the music and sound I think holding in black for 22 seconds is two long. That's a very minor editing nitpick.

Otherwise, this is wonderful! The slow move with the flare is atmospheric, I like how the flare expands and wipes in the painting, and you've got all kinds of subtle parallax motion giving some depth, some nice effects on the waves themselves for a bit of flowing motion, the rising smoke/cloud elements and the water on glass, all of which combine nicely to enhance the mood of the original painting without going so far as to become distracting. 

This is lovely work, very well executed. 

• aarondcaarondc Website User Posts: 264

Turner is my favourite artist, and I love this. Agreed with @Triem23 re: opening 22 seconds, but the rest is inspired.

I've subbed to your channel in case you do any more!

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,175 Moderator

@Alfred732 I have to agree with the previous comments about the long black opening, but I totally see why you did it to have the sun/flare light the scene on the beat of Götterdämmerung (or as I know it, that song from Excalibur )  I thought the whole thing was very nicely done, and enjoyed.  Good work.

• Alfred732Alfred732 Website User Posts: 2

Thank you all - That motivates me a lot!

• OliThompsonOliThompson Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 140 Staff

@Alfred732 Really nice work! I haven't come across much work like this but it's great. You've made good use of some cool effects to bring the painting to life and I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future! :)

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,034 Ambassador

Late to the party, but +1 to almost everything above.  The only thing that kinda pulled me out was the rain-on-glass effect.  The other effects you added brought the painting to life really nicely, but the rain-on-glass made it feel like I was watching the scene through a window, which added a subtle feeling of separation from everything else.