is there Dynamic text box for hitfilm ? if not what is the best way to control text easily?

WVHQUESTIONWVHQUESTION Website User Posts: 30
edited January 25 in Post-production techniques

is there Dynamic text box in hitfilm ? if not what is the best way to control text easily?

Comments

• WVHQUESTIONWVHQUESTION Website User Posts: 30
    edited March 2018
  • JMcAllisterJMcAllister Website User Posts: 599 Just Starting Out

@7drowned

what do you mean by dynamic text?

JMcAllister  ,  dynamic text box  in simple dimensions of the box correspond to the size of the text accurately, so you can take control the text easy .

@7drowned HitFilm Pro has a text effect that I think would help you, instead of needing a new text layer you can just add the text effect to any layer and it will add the text on top.

Hopefully it will also be in HitFilm Express in the future

edited August 13

JMcAllister i think what your are talking about is far of dynamic text box it is not about effects or layers ! it is about the tool  the way so i think if pro can do or had a tip to fix that i think express can ,
    -
     inGIMP
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gimp+dynamic+text+box&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilsfr7-YHaAhXDPhQKHdCxA-sQ_AUICygC&biw=911&bih=425#imgrc=qLKjayYEiNakCM:

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador

Hitfilm doesn't have dynamic text in the way you mean. You can't just resize a text box by grabbing its handle and having the text resize. You use the scale parameter in the layer transform controls. 

edited March 2018

@ JMcAllister  at first thanks !!

second sad it is not in express !

third is there any tip or trick to control the text easy or at least i can know how to make the box manual so suite the dimensions ! or just it depends on your skills to calculate it ! 

edited January 25

Triem23 !if it is there it will be easy to control- so i think it can be in wish list for both express and pro..

• MuuSerMuuSer Website User Posts: 19
    edited March 2018

@JMcAllister or anybody - yes, it's nice new feature, but how to add for example shadow or border to that text?
    -------------------
    Ok, found a solution: Black plane with 'text' effect, then add 'Demult' effect and then 'Drop Shadow' effect and voila!
    P.S.
    Keyframe text changing feature in 'Text' effect is awesome. :)

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast
    edited March 2018

For a Shadow, look to the DropShadow effect. Use it to get a shadow on anything with alpha.

As for a border/outline around the text, only the text layer supports that. Although if the text effect has alpha then using Neon Glow could probably add an outline. The text effect normally does not have alpha but text (non black) on a black plane and then using demult after the text will generate alpha for the text.

As for the size of the text. In Hitfilm that is always controlled by the font size parameter. This is the same in Vegas and Resolve as well. Probably most editors.

You can scale a layer but the text quality should be better if the glyphs are a rasterized at the desired size. Text layers are little different in that the transform group is executed in a different order than most other layer types. Transform is basically first rather than last.

Thanks, @NormanPCN. Yes, it's all obvious. Problem for me was that when I added 'Text' effect to grade layer, it works nice - text with transparent background, but adding there whatever effect more, did not make any difference. Same problem, when I add 'Text' effect directly to video layer.
    Adding 'Text' effect to plain layer and more effects aftewards works well as it must to be, but there is no transparent background. But workaround is just adding 'Demult' effect and... :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador

Why don't you just create a text layer, which already has a transparent background. 

@Triem23 - I hate layers if I have lots of text. 'Text' filter keyframe possibility is very good implement against geting lost in huge amount of layers. I have worked with MovieMaker before and there I can put in one "track" lots of different so called "layers", but in HitFilm (in composition editor) there is for every layer it's own track and subtracks and if those layers are many, it will be quite annoying...
    Therefore I love that pro version 'Text' effect...

edited January 25

Dynamic text box  makes you control the text with  smooth and saves time.

edited August 13

Update!  You can manually control the dimensions to make them proportional to the size of the text by text   cursor pointer   so you can do the job but manual  what is important that you can do  it the dynamic  box just making it automatic and fast , so it is a good alternative for me.