Transcode to Cineform - which one?

DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

Greetings all,

I just did my first transcode from my phone (iPhone 5). I had 5 short clips on the edit timeline and selected "Export Contents". I was confused because in the export screen of Pro latest version, there are four choices that say GoPro Cineform. The differences are 10 bit / 12 bit and .mov and .avi. I chose 12 bit .avi thinking I had read somewhere that it was good for iPhone video. I have watched all of the HitFilm U videos, but don't recall seeing one that tells us the reasons for selecting one of these presets above another. If I missed it, no problem, just point me to the tutorial. If not, would someone comment on this? Thanks

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

The 10-bit Cineform should be fine. Medium or High compression setting. The high settings like Filescan are usually overkill.

The 10-bit bit Cineform uses a 10-bit channels and 422 chroma subsampling. Your camera is 8-bit and 420. So you should be fine.

The 12-bit Cineform is RGB. So no chroma subsampling (aka 444). It also support an Alpha channel. All these features can be useful when you want to export from composite shot of your for use in some other editor and you need the alpha channel or you really want an absolute max quality setting because someone may be doing some additional work on the shot.

Almost universally video for playback is using a 420 chroma subsample. It is the final product, no more work, and the 420 subsample gives smaller files.

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

@NormanPCN , thanks for the reply. I was only trying to transcode to Cineform because of all the replies I see on these forums that state that HitFilm will work better in editing and compositing if you use Cineform. This is the only reason I tried it. I don't want the laggy stuttering when I am playing back in Hitfilm. I admit I lost all comprehension when you began talking about "subsampling". :-)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador

Don't worry about the technical details. Long story short, 10-bit medium quality is more than good enough for 1080p footage from a camcorder or DSLR. Medium is probably good enough for 4k (looks good with the 4k from my 5dmkiv). Go to High if Medium doesn't look as good as you hope. Filmscan 1 and 2 is overkill for your needs. 

Chances are your camera is 8-bit, so 10-bit is already giving you overhead. 12-bit will just make your files larger for zero benefit.

My Hit-U tutorial didn't get into this detail. But, since you've probably watched Essential 07 we'll note here that highly compressed files (mp4) take more resources to decode, thus perform more slowly. Low compression files (Cineform) require fewer resources to decode at the expense of larger file size. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@DataDesign If you are not curious about any technical details I mentioned, you can just try the recommendation I gave. See if you like it.

If you are curious, Google is your friend. A Chroma subsample search shows a wiki page as the second item. 

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast