Applying the mask of the top layer to all (or certain) layers under it?

Clem84Clem84 Website User Posts: 12

I'm making a composite shot with a sort of comic book effect to it, and it involves having the top layer having a mask and also that mask hiding all the layers under it, as I don't want the video inside to be visible in the rest of the image. Is this possible?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,208 Ambassador

Are you in Express or Pri? There's an effect called "Split Screen Masking." Built into Pro, it's an add-on for Express. It would be perfect for what you want, since it's designed to split the screen into panels and fills each panel with a video/still layer. 

Otherwise, you'll have to mask each layer individually. 

• Clem84Clem84 Website User Posts: 12

I'm on PRO. I will look into it. Thanks.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,208 Ambassador

In that case, put Split Screen Masking on a grade layer at the top of the stack. To begin with you can try one of the pane presets just to get used to assigning a layer to a pane and reframing. Once you get that down experiment with a custom layout. You should also be able to define the width and color of pane borders, so you should be able to get a comic page look quickly. Remember you can right-click on an effect once it's set up and save it as a preset in the effects list, so, once you build a layout you can drag and drop for later reuse.