Need Some New Headphones...

ZachAlan
ZachAlan Posts: 449 Enthusiast

Hi everyone. I've only ever had cheap gaming headphones, and am now looking to get some new ones.

I am looking for good quality headphones that can be used for audio work (Hitfilm and Audacity) that are not very expensive. I'm not sure if this kind of headphone ever has a mic, but if it does that's a plus.

Any suggestions are appreciated! 

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador
    edited March 2018

Sony MDR-7506. Bear in mind the essential difference between "reference/mixing" and "listening" headphones. "Listening" headphones--especially in the gaming market--are designed to "sound good." Usually this is pushing extra bass. The oh-so-vaunted "Beats Audio?" That's basically a "smiley face EQ, boosting bass and treble.

Sony MDR 7506's are reference headphones--they aren't made to "sound good," but to accurately play back the audio signal it's getting. If you're buying headphones for audio mixing you need to be looking at reference monitors.

Think of it as the difference between a calibrated video monitor and factory settings. Factory settings usually push the contrast and saturation a bit. "Looks good," but isn't accurate for the content creator trying to grade in the first place (ever see one of the occasional threads here, "Looks good on my computer, but terrible on my friend's TV?" where either the editing computer, friend's TV or both aren't calibrated?). 

The Sony MDR-7506 is one of the most widely used headphone reference monitors in the world, and is used in a ridiculous amount of radio stations, mixing studios and post-production houses. They're more than loud enough, have a pretty flat frequency response (some bass rolloff, which is typical for headphones, and just a little swell around 4Khz), are comfortable to wear for hours, have fantastic stereo separation and are under $100.

There's it's little brother, the Sony MD-6. I've not used those, but they're supposed to be almost identical. There's the big brother, the 7509, but, IMHO,  those aren't as good a value for the money as the 7506.

You'll get other recommendations from other users (someone will have their favorite Seinheisers), but even those who have other preferences will admit the 7506's are damn good headphones. 

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador

Working at a production studio years ago introduced me to the AKG K240 Studio headphones, which you can find on Sweetwater for $69.  I also bought the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, but don't like the fit, and don't like the closed back design.  The AKG is a semi-open design, and it's really comfortable to wear for long sessions.  I couldn't tell you where they fit on the accuracy spectrum, but they sound really good to my ears.  My pair is probably close to 10 years old, and cosmetically they're kinda beat up, but they still sound great.

• ZachAlan
    ZachAlan Posts: 449 Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll probably pick one of the ones suggested, depending on what I an find and what feels nice.

I'm a beginner to audio work and have no idea about most of it, so your suggestions and explanations are really appreciated!

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,426 Ambassador

@ZachAlan_Productions If you are really intent on mixing with headphones don't skimp.   Buy the best headset you can afford.

But, don't forget to mix down with speakers as a final, because that is the way most viewers will see (and hear) your work.  My experience with mixing on headphones is that you hear EVERY little noise.  In fact you start freaking out about, "Did I just hear that?  What was that humming at 2 min. in?"  Almost every ambient noise will seemingly be amplified by headphones.

So take what you are hearing  with the knowledge that a lot of underlying garbage may not be heard by the viewer and double check with speakers without the phones.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Full disclosure - I worked for a Sennheiser dealer for years and the companies I work with the most these days are Sennheiser shops. The HD 280's  are my go to headphones. Unlike @jsbarrett ,I do like the fit and the closed back. I also have the AKG K240's and they are also excellent for the money. I just prefer my Sennheisers. I'm also one of those people that would agree with @Triem23. His Sony's are damn good and I've used them several times over the years.

• Film_Empire
    Film_Empire Posts: 179 Just Starting Out*

I love the JBL T-110 (not conventional headphones but in-ear ones).

They're quite expensive for earphones, but the audio quality (especially the bass) is awesome!

• I would suggest you to use wireless earbuds. I personally use them when gaming instead of big bogus headsets and headphones. 

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 516 Enthusiast
    edited August 2020

Hmmm, @kattysmith11, I would suggest you add some more comments to confirm you're not a spambot, It looks pretty suspicious when  you make your first post with a product link five minutes after joining. 

btw, the site is not blacklisted, or injected with malware.

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/https/whytheluckystiff.net/best-budget-bluetooth-earbuds/

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador
    edited August 2020

@LiamMcM1 You have to prefix a user's name with @ to tag and notify them. Otherwise you're just pasting a link to their profile. And even with the @, if you paste a link and not plain text, I don't think it properly tags. Use Shift-Command (or Shift-Ctrl for Windows) when pasting to paste plain text and not any links or other stylings that might have come when copying. The forum software will turn the tag into a link, but it shouldn't contain a link when pasting.

• alaska_vfx_filmer
    alaska_vfx_filmer Posts: 516 Enthusiast

Thanks, fixed it.