Flying an X-Wing in your living room

rutxer
rutxer Website User Posts: 176

Since I don't have HitFilm Pro (so no moccha), and I'm only using free Fusion 9 (no planar tracker or camera tracker) I had to resort to other means to place the 3D X-Wing into the scene.

I basically created a 3D space like the room so I could freely move the x-wing and then add some matte solids to keep it "in the room".

I also had to use extra matte solids for the reflection (which IMHO is what sells it best).

The engines are based on a particles template from Fusion and the X-Wing from the free Video Copilot content. The other assets from production crate.

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,448 Enthusiast

Didn't notice the reflections, did notice the lack of a shadow. As it looks like you've added some camera shake to a tripod shot, why is the X-Wing drifting about on the carpet at the beginning? Other than that, looks pretty good. :)

• rutxer

You are spot on about the shadow! I had them turned no, but there was nothing where the shadow would be cast, plus... I totally forgot

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,107 Ambassador

@rutxerI love the concept!  Very clever. 

My take would be to fix the drift on the model, add shadow (as @Palocono said), and maybe expand the shot to include a different camera angle or two.   Cut to CU of model sitting on the carpet or maybe a medium shot of the operator as the motion blurred model whizzes by?

But all in all, a great first draft!

• rutxer

@Stargazer54 thanks! This was one of those "I want to try something. Honey, could you hold the camera for 30 seconds?" So I don't think I'll work further on this one, but I'll apply the learnings and your suggestions to further work for sure!

About the drift, I had transform node at the end of the rendered 3d scene with the center tied to a track to the red toy at my feet. Learning: because of the wide angle and the ship being close to the camera I should have tracked the Rubik's cube instead. After all, once it's flying the wobble doesn't matter as helps to give a certain hoovering feeling.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,030 Ambassador
  • CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,241 Ambassador

Fun piece! One quick tip: the explosion asset you used has a dark halo around it.  This can be fixed by changing the blending mode on that layer.  I forget which mode works best, but try Screen for starters.