Drone Mavic sea trials

Rogyrue
Rogyrue Posts: 170 Just Starting Out*

Took the Mavic quite far out to sea  and just made it back with 2% battery left . Managed to get some nice footage of the ship and its support  vessel .  25 min flight squashed down to 3 min . Also added a few little effects just for fun

Comments

• HIS__Films
    HIS__Films Posts: 530 Just Starting Out*

Oh that must of been scary having the battery almost die on you!!! I never want to try doing that with my drone! :lol:  And you did get some amazing shots! Nice job!

• BobDiMarzio
    BobDiMarzio Posts: 630 Just Starting Out

Nicely done!  I personally do not have the stones to cut it that close.    I am more concerned  that the winds will change enough to hinder my return.

I enjoyed the VFX.

Bob.  

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Ooh, scary times... 

• 8KMAX
    8KMAX Posts: 186 Just Starting Out
    @Rogyrue; Very nice footage!
    The only things that I would improve are:

a vapor that leaves the wing of the plane.

(hitfilm tutorial that explains how to do minute 14)

_Add a "water cover" effect to the sea monster or a "feather mask" on the bottom of the monster.

And that's it!
  • rutxer
    rutxer Posts: 176

Impressive: the clip, the drone footage and the VFX work.

I wouldn't be this brave using my Mavic!! :D

• orangepeel
    orangepeel Posts: 87 Just Starting Out

Nice shots dude! Although the horizon tilt was pretty far off on some of the earlier shots

• Rogyrue
    Rogyrue Posts: 170 Just Starting Out*

@Digitaldave @rutxer @4KMAX @his Films @BobDiMarzio

Thanks for all  the feedback . Agreed the VFX has lots of room for polish it was just kind of thrown in. Wanted to get close to the ship but the seagulls are not a friendly bunch. It was a cold day my hands where froze the time i landed i cant fly with gloves on..

I disabled all the RTH features and i had to cancel the auto land function a few times as it tried to activate once below 5% battery and that would have been a autoland in to the sea my heart fluttered as i tried to swipe the cancel option .

I tend to disable all the safety features and  calculate the flight myself . Had a bad experience with RTH and obstacle avoidance once and it caused the drone to crash so don't us them any more.

Also had a number of flights where you lose signal but just for 30 seconds to a minute raise your altitude  and almost every time the signal does come back and i just  resume the flight. If autos safety features are on it comes home at signal loss and you lose the entire planned flight for the sake of a short signal loss. Its a scary experience signal loss you tend to think the worst when it happens.

Saying that i cut it to close  with this flight  it was a thrill on the flight back and i hugged it when it landed , wont do that again.  :)

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast

I'd have gone wacko if a $1000 piece of equipment had a chance of sinking to the bottom of the ocean!