Picture in picture

Mandokeith
Mandokeith Posts: 19 Just Starting Out*

I'm trying to create an effect for a music video where there are 4 musicians playing in the corners as a PiP effect over a background of the vocalists head. I can do all that ok but now I want to soften just the edges of the 4 musician shots. Any ideas please?

Comments

• Juda1
    Juda1 Posts: 299 Just Starting Out*

I guess you did it by have those four musicians in four tracks transformed to 50 % and moved up in the four quarters of the screen or something similar.

I would add a plane at the bottom of the layer stack that serving as mask. Draw a rectangle mask around it. Then use the mask properties Roundness and Expansion to build the edges until you're satisfied with it.

To use that as a mask for your footages the plane needs to be rendered with that mask. You can achieve that by making a comp of it and use the comp as mask or - easier - add a grade layer and move it above the plane.

Now add the set matte effect to your footage and set the grade layer as matte source. If you made a comp of that matte choose that comp as matte source. That's it.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador

@Juda1 or just draw circular or rectangular masks on each of the overlay layers and feather them directly.

What you describe would absolutely work, but in this case it's more complex than it needs to be. 

• Juda1

@Triem23: You're right. But this way he can be sure he has exactly the same mask for all layers, that's why I've chosen that way.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador

@Juda1 but masks can also be copied/pasted between layers! :) 

• Juda1

@Triem23: While posting that I was afraid you mentioned it 

• Mandokeith
    Mandokeith Posts: 19 Just Starting Out*

It works! It works! Thanks chaps, onward progress can now be made.