Using Green Screen

TheEducatorTheEducator Website User Posts: 4
edited February 2018 in HitFilm

Hello, 

I am new to HFE2017 and I want to use it to make a training presentation video with a full sized Power Point to the left of me and I standing next to it. I also want to be able to place various photos and videos in the background behind me. Do I have to buy a Green Screen Kit with the screen and lighting or do I just shoot my presentation against a wall and use the green screen option in the software to add the powerpoint and other scenery to the video within HFE2017. Again this is new to me so please advise the best way to do this. Below is a link to a still shot of a video similar to what I want to make. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K0mtYNIzBClrjMcy2Y_xInnBVTMf5QYs

Thanks 

Anthony 

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

If you have a single colored wall that's a good contrast from your hair/skin/clothes a wall should work. In Express you'd use the Hue/RGB key (which lets you select a target color with the eyedropper). 

Green is most commonly used because most video cameras are more sensitive to green (so is the human eye, btw), and a greenscreen will have a nice smooth surface. Depending on the texture of the wall you might get a lot of micro-highlights/shadows messing with the key. 

Best advice--shoot a short 20 second wall test and try it. If it works, you're set. If not, then get a greenscreen.

The trick with any key is lighting. You need to try to light the wall/greenscreen evenly, avoid shadows on the background and light yourself well. 

• TheEducatorTheEducator Website User Posts: 4

Hi Triem23,

Thank you for the advise, I was looking into the green screen kit and Wal-Mart actually sells one with the screen, stands and lights for around $70. I'm about to move, so I'll see if my new place has a decent wall first. Did you see the photo of what I want to accomplish? 

Thanks again

Anthony 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

I did. A key is a key. :-)

This discussion has been closed.