Issues importing ProRes and DNxHD

Hi,

I'm using HitFilm Express on a machine that doesn't have Quicktime installed (and shouldn't because of the support drop + security issues).

Is there any way to import .mov files (that use either ProRes or DNxHD?).

In the same machine, BMD Resolve and Fusion both are able to open the same .mov files without Quicktime installed (both ProRes and DNxHD).

I can edit h.264, but ProRes and DNxHD are just a lot faster to work with

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador

HitFilm requires Quicktime to be installed before you can import .mov files. My understanding for this behavior (and if I'm wrong, please correct me) is that it comes down to licensing fees.  Rather than pay Apple to license Quicktime and embed the ability to decode .mov files directly into HitFilm, the devs opted to leave it up to the user to install.  It keeps the software cost down, but obviously puts a burden on the user.

While you can technically still edit using h.264-encoded files, I wouldn't recommend it for the reasons detailed here:

Guessing that you're on Windows, I believe there are other transcoding options (Cineform?) that will still give you a better editing experience, and the video above might cover this to some extent (it's been a while since I watched it, and admittedly I was focusing on Mac-related options while doing so).  You might also seek input from other Windows users who've chosen to install Quicktime and see if they've experienced any issues.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 924 Enthusiast

QuickTime for windows is simply bad. I haven't had any problems with it, but most of the software that I use has its own ProRes decoder built in now due to how bad Apple's intentionally compromised version for Windows is. ASSIMILATE got a HUGE performance boost for ProRes by eschewing the crapple version... but that takes a fair bit of engineering effort, and ASSIMILATE was at the time charging $30,000 per license. 

Black Magic followed suit also, forced into it when apple dropped support for ProRes for Windows.

In terms of efficicency, Cineform blows it away. You get higher image quality with smaller files, and it's pretty NLE friendly. I've found Resolve's Cineform encoder to be faster than its DNx encoder also, though I haven't tried the DNx output in the two latest versions, because Cineform works so well that I stopped caring about DNx. :)

Don't expect Cineform to be small, mind you; it's still giving you a raftload of data, lots to work with for color manipulations and keying and all. Great codec, Cineform... that's why Red used it as a foundation for Redcode.

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Posts: 593 Enthusiast

The current version of HitFilm Pro (v6) has native decode of ProRes files on windows, so I would imagine that'll appear in the next version of Express, although obviously that doesn't help you right now... 

In the meantime using Cineform on windows gives similar performance

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

I wonder if Prores will show up in the next Express on Windows. If FxHome are paying Apple a fee for "Prores" then I have my doubts. Maybe in the premium formats pack.

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 924 Enthusiast

Meh. Cineform's a better codec anyway.