Choppy Video Solution?

Yeremyah
Yeremyah Posts: 995 Enthusiast
edited February 2018 in Post-production techniques

I started a 1920x1080 project.

I added a 1920x1080 video.

I then rendered, but the final video is choppy.

Is there a solution for making the video run smoothly as the original video is smooth?

If so, how exactly, what I need to do?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Yeremyah

Been testing this for ages, starting a new template with different frame rates, but the video in hitfilm and final render is still sluggish and choppy looking.

Anyone know what else I can try?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador

What is the frame rate of your source video, project and export template? 

• Yeremyah
    edited February 2018

Source:  23.98 frames/second

Project: 23.976

Export: The youtube 1080p Hitfilm preset  

But even playing it inside hitfilm before the export, it's choppy too.

Not find this with other videos I have imported before.

• Triem23

Hmmm. That 23.98 is telling me your source is variable frame rate (23.976 is the correct standard). Maybe Hitfilm is parsing the VFR incorrectly? Try transcoding footage to constant framerate, then right-click the original footage in the media bin,  select "Relink," and select your transcoded file. This should put the new media in, preserving the edit.

Looks like Handbrake doesn't correctly write 23.976 constant framerate. I'd recommend MPEG STREAMCLIP. 

• Yeremyah

Ok thank you:)

• Yeremyah

@Triem23

I ran the vid through Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate, then imported into Hitfilm and now it's smooth:)

• Triem23

Cool. I had a feeling that was it. 

I'd suggest just transcoding in the future. Hitfilm tries to parse variable frame rate footage (to my knowledge Hitfilm is the only editor that even tries), but, honestly, it's not very good at it. There's a reason for this. I shot some footage on my phone that was supposed to be "29.97," but varied between 20 and 32. Hitfilm decided it was 23.976. Turns out most of video was closer to 22. Hitfilm grabbed 23.976. Your video was probably getting interpreted to 25.

• Yeremyah

Cheers Triem:)

• Yeremyah

@Triem23

I imported the videos into Davinci Resolve 14, and it says the videos are different frame rate and asks if want to change them to be same as template, I answer yes and it works smoothly.

Hitfilm can implement this same feature one day you think?