ProRes Converter for Windows.

rgbii
rgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
Hello folks, can anyone recommend a decent program to batch convert video (from Canon DSLR) to ProRes (Proxy and standard)?   Would prefer something $50 or less.
I tried Bigasoft's converter and at first really liked it, so I purchased it (I think it was $30), however, after using it a while, I've noticed two problems with it. 
Most of the time it will drop frames from the end of the video. If it was just a few, I could deal with it, but it regularly drops up to 25 frames, which can be an issue at times.
The second problem is that hitfilms editor doesn't seem to like the files. Hitfilm's editor seems to slide the file one frame. Not sure if this is a hitfilm issue or not (doesn't happen in vegas or HF composites).
Because of these two issues, I can't recommend this software, but I'd like to find something.
Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Richard.

Comments

• mark_e
    mark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    I think I'm correct in saying that pro-res is a proprietary Apple codec and on windows there is not an official port for writing it so all the windows tools are some variant of reverse engineering the Apple codec to get the result which can lead to unexpected errors.
    I looked for a while and the advice seemed to be if you share a lot of files with mac users and need pro res and want to guarantee they are ok then get a cheap mac mini or whatever and just have a watched folder on that on a network drive and drop the files there to get transcoded and pull them back to the windows box.  I've not seen anyone recommend a windows pro-res encoder that all have agreed works well (not that it means there is not one :) )
    If you are just working on windows I'd go DNxHD which works nice with hitfilm just as good quality and is cross platform if required.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,933 Ambassador
    DNxHD is Avid's Pro-Res compatible codec for Windows. If you already have Sony Vegas, then you can render to DnxHD by selecting the DNxHD codec in a Quicktime render profile. If you have Vegas PRO, a few minutes on Google will find you a batch-render script.
  • rgbii
    Thanks mark_e and Triem23,  I took y'alls advice and decided to go with DNxHD.  I've used Vegas for almost a decade, but only recently switched to the Pro version and didn't realize it supported scripts. Nice :)
    I ended up buying the Veggie Toolkit, which is more than I wanted to spend (especially after wasting $30 on the other software), but it seems to do the job nicely, even if it only converts one file at a time.
    Thanks again,
    Richard.
    P.S.  the second problem I mentioned above (being off by one frame), doesn't seem to be just with the prores files. If I open HF from Vegas, any file in the editor is off by one frame.  I've opened a ticket on it, so hopefully will have a solution soon.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,933 Ambassador
    I thought veggie toolkit had a muli-file batch renderer? I don't use that one, as I already use both Ultimate S Pro and Vegasaur (and own Vegas Production Assistant, but that's basically a Sony-branded version of Ultimate S with fewer features). I do know that both Ultimate S and Vegasaur have muli-file batch renderers.
  • rgbii
    Triem23, yes, veggie toolkit does do multiple files in the batch, but it only does one at a time.  The other software would take advantage of multiple cores and convert more than one at a time.  Not that big of a deal since in either case, I don't have to be around for the job to get done.
    I'll check into the other two you mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Richard.
  • Triem23
    For sake of completeness, there's also "Excalibur for Vegas." Excalibur, Vegasaur, Veggie Toolkit and Ultimate S. All script - based, all have batch renders, all have similar but different tools.
    Oh, Vasst (makers of Ultimate S) also did their FASST APP lineup, which is effectively selling each of the Ultimate S modules individually. Which, if you're on a budget, could work as well.
  • rgbii
    Thanks Triem23, I'll check those out too.  You mentioned having Ultimate S and Vegasaur - which do you consider more useful for day to day stuff?
    Richard.
  • Triem23
    Well... I use Ultimate S more regularly--but that's partially because I've used it LONGER. Both plug-ins have similar tool sets, with only a few unique features between them. I prefer Ultimate S's interface, as it docks as a tabbed window. Vegasaur becomes a dropdown menu button. I prefer Ultimate S's multicam tools to the built-in Vegas multicam. (I do a lot of event video--in fact I'm pulling an all-nighter at this exact moment to get this disc master done... As usual, the client gave me final edit notes with less than 24 hours until I have to deliver--because he's an >>EXPLETIVE DELETED<<)
    Unfortunately, in Vegas 11 and 12 (not 8-10) there's a bug where the Ultimate S multicam doesn't always cut on a frame boundrey--I bought Vegasaur soley because it has a one-click "Quantize all Video Events" tool. Vegasaur also has a tool for doing slow-mo and time lapse of up to 1000x speed which Ultimate S doesn't have.
    BUT.... Both plug-ins have free 30 day trials--Best bet is to try them out and see which one is best for you. One of them will likely have a toolset that makes you say "Why didn't I get this years ago?"
    Vegasaur: http://vegasaur.com/Vegasaur
    Ultimate S: http://vasst.com/store/vasst-software/ultimate-s-pro.aspx
    Excalibur for Vegas (Again, I don't use it, but I know people who prefer it to the other two: http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur/home.php
  • rgbii
    edited January 2014
    Glad to see so many options available (Thanks for the links).  I'd already purchased Veggie toolkit after seeing that it did the job, but will keep an eye on the others - you can never have too many tools :)

A quick comment about the bigasoft converter. Their customer support has been decent.  I think they had trouble duplicating the problem since their software doesn't include frames in the lengths, only down to seconds. I think once it  got past the first tier support, they may have duplicated the issue and the last email from today said "Our technicians are working on the issue. And we will update the software within 3 days. Could you please wait for some time? ".
    I've seen this dropped frame issue with a lot of cheap/free converters (and not just with ProRes), so will be interesting to see if they actually fix it.   If they do, this might actually be a decent ProRes converter for  windows/pc at a reasonable price.
    Richard.
  • Triem23
    Oh, rgbii, since you're on Vegas Pro now, besides the scripts, Vegas Pro also supports "nesting," drop a.VEG file on a timeline and Vegas treats it as media. Right-click the veg file on the timeline and you'll see an "edit in Vegas" option, which will open the nest for edits in a second instance of Vegas--similar to embedding composite shots in Hitfilm.
    Vegas Pro does Adjustment/Grade layers! It's undocumented, but here's how you do it: create an empty track where you want the grade/adjustment layer to be. Put effects on at the track level. In the effects chain tab where you see your effects you'll see a box for "composite." drag "composite" to the left so that composite comes first in the effect chain, and these track effects will effect all underlying media!
  • rgbii
    I knew about the nesting - it's one of the main reasons I switched, but I did not know about the grade layer, which sounds great and very useful, I'll have to give that a try.
    Thanks,
    Richard.
  • rgbii
    edited January 2014

I like that!   Makes it so much easier when you need the same grade on multiple tracks.  Thanks!  :)

BTW, it doesn't seem to be limited to the Pro version. Just tried it on vegas studio 11 and it worked just fine.

• Triem23
    Oh, good for Vegas Studio owners to know!
  • rgbii
    edited January 2014
    Just an update. Bigasoft has already given me a fixed/updated copy of the program and it seems to work fine.
    Seems to do a pretty good job overall.
    Comparing ProRes Proxy from the Bigasoft to DNxHD 36 from Vegas, I like the DNxHD better. It is slightly smaller than the ProRes, but the main reason is that color/contrast/brightness matches the orignal better.
    Took the ProRes over to a MAC and they played just fine.
    I'll be sticking with the DNxHD for now, but it's nice to have a decent ProRes converter available.
  • kitewinmario
    kitewinmario Website User Posts: 4

I high recommend iDealshare VideoGo which is a professional ProRes Converter for Windows and Mac.

It can convert video to ProRes or convert ProRes to other video formats.

Step by step guide at How to Convert Video to ProRes or Convert ProRes.

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,252 Staff

I use MPEG Streamclip.  Its free, totally reliable, gives you full control over codec selection and compression settings, and handles batches easily. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Another one to add to the list. This one started out life as AWPro but now it's called ClipToolz Convert. It's mainly a GUI wrapper for ffmpeg and ffmbc but this one was developed by a video pro for other video pros. It has a very well designed GUI, batch processing, video scopes, LUT's can be applied, timecode replaced and on and on and now it's free!

Main download page for ClipToolz Convert V2

User Guide including codec matrix

Blog were you can ask questions

• coolkaylee
    coolkaylee Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Introduced in 2007 with Final Cut Studio 2, ProRes is an unparalleled combination of multistream, real-time editing performance, impressive image quality, and reduced storage rates so that is very suitable for post-production with high quality and high performance.

ProRes is quite new that a few devices, software, hardware, or platforms could support it. That's why we need to convert it. For Mac users, this tool may be helpful: https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/prores-converter.htm

• Triem23

@coolkaylee This is a quite old thread, although your post is basically relevant. Still, bringing up a year's-dormant thread with an outside link is very bot like behavior, so I'm afraid I'm asking you to respond to this comment to prove you're human.