Basic Moving Hologram

DallasSmith
DallasSmith Website User Posts: 11
edited January 2014 in Practical Filmmaking
Just got into this idea and made something kind of cool.
Let me know if you want to see a tutorial.
Sci Fi Display:  http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=24_ZIehZsYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J5RtfrxUW0&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• CalebK
    CalebK Website User Posts: 435
    edited January 2014
    Verry cool!  My only suggestion is having there be areas that light up when touched.  Or maybe light up the whole face with a new color.  This will allow you to see when the cube it touching the ground, and where your had touched it as you did a very good job animating it.
    Also it is confusing when gravity is switched on and off and the friction of objects changes.   And make sure the corners go into your hand (disappear) when you touch them since you palm is curved and yields.
    Just some constructive feedback overall it is an above par video!
  • DallasSmith
    Verry cool!  My only suggestion is having there be areas that light up when touched.  Or maybe light up the whole face with a new color.  This will allow you to see when the cube it touching the ground, and where your had touched it as you did a very good job animating it.
    Also it is confusing when gravity is switched on and off and the friction of objects changes.   And make sure the corners go into your hand (disappear) when you touch them since you palm is curved and yields.
    Just some constructive feedback overall it is an above par video!

Thanks for the advice, I had the program for a few days so that's why there is the little problems.

• CalebK
    CalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Thanks for the advice, I had the program for a few days so that's why there is the little problems.

WOAH! You have been just using this for a few days! I never would have guessed! You did a great job at this! I have been using this since christmas and i couldn't touch that! Nice! Keep up the good work! Lets learn HitFilm together!

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,068 Staff
    I agree with Caleb - the fact that you've been using this for just a few days is awesome. What have you previously been using?
    The hologram reacts really well to your hands - there are some moments when corners of the square overlap with the sides of your fingers which makes it look less realistic, but overall the idea and the way you've put it together is great. 
    I'm sure loads of people would like to see a tutorial of this. I know I would! 
    Well done
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,951 Ambassador
    Excellent animation! Agree a little work needs to be done with finger masking, but, if this is what you can do in a few days, then your next pass on this is going to be amazing, indeed.
    Nice, simple composition, great sense of motion. The changes in physics didn't bother me. Actually made it feel more like an interface to me.
    If we're adding a wishlist, I would enjoy seeing the light cone/beams from the emitter on the phone. With the footage being moving hands and a stationary phone on a light-neutral background, you're in a great position to be able to get a quick luma (or difference) key for masking, too!
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Nice clip! What camera settings did you have? There seems to be a lot of perspective skew as the cube rotates around, so I was wondering whether you were using quite a wide angle camera in HitFilm. 
  • DallasSmith
    Nice clip! What camera settings did you have? There seems to be a lot of perspective skew as the cube rotates around, so I was wondering whether you were using quite a wide angle camera in HitFilm. 

I didn't change anything with the camera, it's just the default settings.