mock up an aircrash site a la war of the worlds

DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast
Hi guys,
I'm in the middle of writing a movie/web series and I want to have an air crash site similar to the one in war of the worlds with tom cruise. Having considered and ruled out buying a 747 and cutting it up I thought I would ask you guys for ideas on an actually achievable approach to this. I have considered 3d models and hacking them about or maybe using stills and compositing them. The location is a residential area in the UK. The aircraft type would be optional but needs to be a commercial airliner size and some interior will be visible along with wreckage and demolished houses. My plan is to have a go at some of the suggested approaches you guys come up with and see if it's practical to even do this. I'll post them on here for comment and advise. There might be some interaction of the main character with the wreckage if that's practical.
Any help would be gratefully received, pointers to related tutorials even if they are for aftereffects as they are often translatable to hit film. If you've done something similar and can give detailed advice so much the better. Any more detail needed then please just ask.
I have access to hitfilm ultimate 2, Blender, photoshop cs3, green screens, vue 9 complete, Poser 7. I'm using windows 8.1.
I know this is perhaps a little vague so as I said please do ask anything you feel would help
Thanks

Comments

• Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    edited December 2013
    Hi guys,
    I'm in the middle of writing a movie/web series and I want to have an air crash site similar to the one in war of the worlds with tom cruise. Having considered and ruled out buying a 747 and cutting it up I thought I would ask you guys for ideas on an actually achievable approach to this. I have considered 3d models and hacking them about or maybe using stills and compositing them. The location is a residential area in the UK. The aircraft type would be optional but needs to be a commercial airliner size and some interior will be visible along with wreckage and demolished houses. My plan is to have a go at some of the suggested approaches you guys come up with and see if it's practical to even do this. I'll post them on here for comment and advise. There might be some interaction of the main character with the wreckage if that's practical.
    Any help would be gratefully received, pointers to related tutorials even if they are for aftereffects as they are often translatable to hit film. If you've done something similar and can give detailed advice so much the better. Any more detail needed then please just ask.
    I have access to hitfilm ultimate 2, Blender, photoshop cs3, green screens, vue 9 complete, Poser 7. I'm using windows 8.1.
    I know this is perhaps a little vague so as I said please do ask anything you feel would help
    Thanks
    Sounds like your best bet is a full 3d pipeline. Design or get a model in blender. Camera track your scene. Animate your model. Then render it in seperate passes, Passes should be as follows reflection,refraction,shadow,ao,diffuse you could also render it out in one pass but you want have as much control in compositing . Make sure you make the background transparent and i would also use cycles for a more realistic render. Then in composting combine the layers and color correct, i would also handle any masking in the compositing stage. For reflections use a hdr enviorment. You usally would also camera map your scene but this depends on the complexity. you could also use the built in model importer but this method will give you very little control. 

if you want to use the full 3d pipeline:
    http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_crater_p1/
    http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_crater_p2/
    http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_crater_p3/
    if you want to use the model importer:
    http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_truck_compositing/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUV_4lsbl0
    One thing they didnt show you in this tutorial which is one of the biggest points of compositing is you have to match the film grain in your shot on the cg element or it wont look realistic.
    I couldnt find a video in blender for the 3d pipeline, however it should be pretty easy to follow in blender. You can use blenders camera tracker for your camera track.
    hope this helps.
  • DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast
    Wow, very detailed and also quite complex. That's gonna take a while for sure but it could yield excellent results. Thanks Nate.

Anyone else have another approach?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    I'd definitely go with miniatures for this, personally.  If your 3D skills are up to the challenge, then 3d is an option for sure, but for me miniatures would be a lot faster, fairly cheap, and look more realistic in the end.