Crashing on 3D import browsing

PhilWessonPhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
So, this just started happening a couple of days ago.
When I open a new scene, and I import a 3D model, if I change directories to browse for the model, Hitfilm 2U hangs for a moment, then crashes to the desktop. 
I'm using Hitfilm for Mac. 
Has anyone had this happen before?

Comments

• PhilWessonPhilWesson Website User Posts: 241 Enthusiast
    Fixed it. A clean install did it.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Sounds odd, let us know if it starts happening again, Phil. 
  • dazzafaktdazzafakt Website User Posts: 14
    For me this solution doesn't work. :-(
    I already had the same problems with media import- I just fixed it with the re-installation. But for this 3D-Models Crash  it didn't work. I already tried diffrent 3D objects
  • mkkvideomkkvideo Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out
    It happened with my hf2u first, too. Every 3dmodel I tried to import made hitfilm crashing. I found out that it was the beta-driver i Installed for my AMD graphics card. Deinstall and install the older Version fixed this. Now every 3dmodel gets imported.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    Yes, it is worth making sure you have the latest stable drivers for your graphics card installed.  If that is all good, then it likely comes down to the specific models, so links would be handy.
  • MattOSiodaMattOSioda Website User Posts: 2
    edited November 2015

When I try to import .3ds HitFilm 2 ultimate crashes. I've tried all above suggestions but to no avail. Any ideas? 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff

Do other 3D formats import OK? How many different .3ds files have you tried; it might be the file itself, not the format.

What are the specs of your machine?

CPU:
    Graphics Card:
    RAM:

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador

Another question is how large is your model? If the size of the model exceeds your GPU's ability to handle it, Hitfilm will crash on import. The only support ticket for Hitfilm I ever filed was over model setup with a couple of million polys--it was just too big for my Nvidia GTX580m to handle. Otherwise, Axel has great advice, as always.

• MattOSiodaMattOSioda Website User Posts: 2

I've tried several different .3ds and .obj files. I'm new to this so have never worked with 3d models before.

Windows 7.

Amd FX 8320 eight core 3.5ghz

Amd Radeon hd 6900

16gb RAM.