HELP learning the 3D camera - think First time HitFilm user from an AfterEffects background

I'm not sure if theres a post on this specific question I'm going to ask so if there is I'm sorry, couldn't find it.
First off let me tell you a bit on where I'm coming from. I've been a long time AfterEffects user and I can use the 3D camera just fine in that application. The problem with AfterEffects is a lack of a unified 3D space meaning more then one particle system cannot interact with each other nor can the interact with a 3D plane layer. HitFilm however can actually do this! HUGE advantage! plus the 3D model import is much swifter then Element 3D for AfterEffects and i like how 3D model import is integrated as part of the software and not a third party plugin so you know its made to work by the same people who made the program. however... when i animate the 3D camera instead of doing what i want it seems to do summersaults around 3D space. Ill make my first position keyframe for example, then ill move ahead in the timeline and move the camera to a different spot then finally once again i move ahead in the timeline then move the camera again. Instead of the camera going to the exact place it was when i made each keyframe it goes to a slightly different spot and looks in the complete wrong direction and is always crooked at every previous keyframe. ill fix one keyframe then move to the next, however when i fix the shot on the next keyframe the former one is messed up again. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I was wondering if anyone out there has a solution? thanks for the help! every other aspect of the software has been working really well and I'd really like to use it for more and more projects in the future! :)

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador
    I am not on a computer right now, so I can't check, but one thing I want to ask is if you are targeting the camera using orientation or rotation. Orientation keyframes in Hitfilm can behave in unexpected ways. Use orientation to set your initial camera target and rotation to animate. You also might want to create a null point and parent your camera to that.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    Are you keyframing the orientation of the camera?  If so, try using the Rotation controls rather than the Orientation.  Orientation won't recognize more than 360° in any direction, and will take the shortest route from one keyframe to the next.  The individual rotation controls, on the other hand, let you control exactly which direction the camera rotates to get from one orientation to the next.  It sounds like this might help with the situation you are describing.
  • AwesomeFilmAwesomeFilm Website User Posts: 2
    I know all about orientation, been using AfterEffects for years and the cameras in both applications on the surface appear to be the same which is why I can't determine my problem. The only thing i keyframed was the rotation for X and Y. On a side note, can HitFilm do expressions?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    No expressions yet, though you, I, and lots of others would love to see them added.
    Can you upload the project file somewhere so we could take a look at it, to try see what is going on?