Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Trailer

Andrew
Andrew Website User Posts: 379 Enthusiast
Many of you may know how big of a cynic and, in the end, a hypocrite I was about 2011's Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes with James Franco. I felt it looked like a haphazardly-produced, ridiculous, cheap, over-silly blockbuster that would never work.
However, through Rupert Wyatt's direction, Andy Serkis' mesmerizing mo-cap performance, and a focus on the friendship and personal story between Franco's character and Serkis' chimpanzee Caesar- it ended up being one of the most successful, critically-praised blockbusters of that year. And a movie I really loved and felt triumphed in new and interesting ways.
Well, now here comes the sequel. A movie set 10 years in the future, following an outbreak of the virus hinted at in the end of the first movie, with Caesar- the hyper-inteliigent ape- leading the charge against humans. And although it's short- it just looks..........great.

Jason Clarke. Gary Oldman. Andy Serkis. Astounding CG right from the get-go and a post-apocalyptic setting directed by Drew Goddard. Count me in.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,987 Ambassador
    Yeah "Rise" was surprisingly good. Mostly because the filmakers remembered to give us reasons to care about the characters, coupled with the usually excellent John Lithgow and the usually mediocre James Franco turning in very nuanced performances.
    Something interesting in "Rise:" no character ever says the words "I Love You." Father/Son, Lovers, Man/Ape, Woman/Ape, the expression of love never is spoken at all. If James Franco's character had taken every fourth or fifth repetition of "Trust Me" ssaid to Ceaser with "I Love You," then the film would have had a different ending, I think.
    Hopefully "Dawn" will remember to make us LIKE the characters and not devolve into a soulless action film punctuated by conflict between Ceaser and his "Brutus."
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff
    I totally agree with you both. Give me a post-apocalyptic world directed by Drew Goddard and I'm there. World War Z only served to strengthen that opinion!
    Your point below is really interesting Triem - I was aware in "Rise" of a lack of empathy (surprising, considering the dark material they were exploring, especially with the dementia storyline) but I never actually realised that no-one says the words "I Love You". I suppose we could go into a whole essay about the lack of vocal affection and the consequences there as a result, but it is interesting to see.

I wonder, if in "Dawn" the apes have reached a point where they are interacting and communicating as humans with each other, whether we will see that "I Love You" realised through them, Ape/Ape, and what that says about the human race in comparison. 

Something interesting in "Rise:" no character ever says the words "I Love You." Father/Son, Lovers, Man/Ape, Woman/Ape, the expression of love never is spoken at all. If James Franco's character had taken every fourth or fifth repetition of "Trust Me" ssaid to Ceaser with "I Love You," then the film would have had a different ending, I think.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,987 Ambassador
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, for some reason, the lack of "I Love You's" jumped out at me. I think it was where Dr. Rodman (James Franco) leaves Caesar in the primate house, and he kept telling Caesar, "Trust me, trust me," and, mentally, I am screaming "TELL CAESAR YOU LOVE HIM!"
    But, of course he can't, because the plot requires angry-Caesar.
    Then I was waiting for Dr. Rodman to tell his gf, Caroline (Frieda Pinto) he loves her so Ceasar would ask "Don't you love me?"and Rodman would say" It's different, we're people, you're an Ape," which would expose Caesar to bias from his friend/father figure.
    But that would be blatant. No one saying "I love you," to anyone, ever in that film was subtle, but it informs Caesar's psychology greatly.
    In "Dawn," I expect the Apes to speak. Caesar speaks by the end of "Rise," and there's a seven year story gap between films.Plenty of time for the other apes to gain language skills if the later-revision virus used to alter them is as effective as the compound used on Caesar. Especially as Caesar is only 8 at the end of "Rise."
    I don't think we will see much "I love you" among the apes. Certainly not among that "first generation" who were directly altered by the virus, as they were raised as zoo or experimental animals and raised under stressful, abusive conditions.
    Especially if the filmakers are aiming for a stratified, segregated ape society as shown in the original series: Gorilla military, Chimpanzee scientists, Orangutan politicians..
    They could fool me, and bring in a "Cornelius" ape to try to broker peace, but I see that as a development for the third movie. Best guess, based on setup in "Rise," is a third-act ape power-struggle between Caesar and Koba--the scar-faced ape who doesn't seem to like Caesar: I predict Caesar's assassination, which will end all hope of peace. (My hypothetical third-movie "Cornelius" would be child of Caesar and Cornilia, and would have been told stories of Dr. Rodman by his father)