Water Particle Simulator

Hello, I'm making a short film with a river in a termite mound. where i am there are we don't have a river so i was wondering if there was a way to do a particle simulator as a river?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    You aren't going to get great results from the particle simulator for this. The main issue is that a river behaves as a single object, not a bunch of particles, and you really need a fluid simulator, which HitFilm doesn't have. My recommendation would be to find a river you like, and build a replica of your termite mound there for the shots you need.
  • where can i find a water simulator? we are going to shoot the termite caves inside of some old caves that a mile or two outside of our town. if i set the camera in front of them instead of behind them, could i make a 3D environment to be the deflector and set it in there and ad a force would that work?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Fluid simulators are generally used in high-end 3D applications such as Maya or 3DStudio Max.  Blender probably has one, so that's probably the most affordable option.  Keep in mind though, that they are hugely complex and require a lot of skill and experience to get realistic renders.  Whereas actual water is readily available in most places.  I would definitely go for filming actual water elements, and compositing them into your scenes, rather than trying to make fake water and composite that in.  Its going to be much easier to get convincing results.
    I don't entirely understand your question regarding deflectors and forces, could you explain further what you want to set up, or what the final scene is meant to be?
  • the deflector is a 3D model of a river/stream. what if you could set the trajectory to a cone and get a force to pull it down, but the model would block it from doing so, and it make a current looking water. 
    i can't try it right now because i'm not home but i'll try it and show the results.
  • Nate066
    Nate066 Posts: 191
    [quote name="Telaret Movie Productions" post="36501" timestamp="1387312205"]the deflector is a 3D model of a river/stream. what if you could set the trajectory to a cone and get a force to pull it down, but the model would block it from doing so, and it make a current looking water. 
    i can't try it right now because i'm not home but i'll try it and show the results.[/quote]
    Even if you add displacement it sill wouldn't look real. Why not just use real water?
  • RedHat
    RedHat Posts: 75
    Hi, try eon's vue software.  It makes water in many ways.
  • Nate066
    [quote name="RedHat" post="36504" timestamp="1387316535"]Hi, try eon's vue software.  It makes water in many ways.[/quote]
    Vue is paid and it's not a fluid simulator. He would be better of in blender or better yet using a real river
  • i don't really know how to use blender
  • Nate066
    edited December 2013
    i don't really know how to use blender

use a real river then, To be honest i don't get why you dont want to use a real river. If its easier and will look better the vfx why not use it. And if your in some place that doesnt have rivers, for example a desert, you can try to use a hose to make your own mini river then you can composite it to where you want the river

• 3dmus
    3dmus Posts: 117
    i don't really know how to use blender

There are many great resources on it....I'm not great at 3D/Blender at all (I can hardly model tbh), but when you look up the relevant tutorials you should be able to make something. I did something similar for my music video. In this case an ocean rather than a river, but same principle. I basically set up a plane in Blender, applied an ocean modifier, tweaked the parameters. and saved it as an "animated" OBJ file (ensuring it can loop). This I then imported into Element 3D in AE (but I believe you can use animated OBJs in Hitfilm too?), and presto.
    For the example (towards the end of the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKss9RBOs4

But as per some of the other folks, nothing beats the real thing if you want to go for realism!

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Alternatively, if you don't want to go down the Blender route and don't have a real river, you could consider building a miniature. Make a miniature set, run water down it, then composite the water into the live action set.
    Fluid simulation is really good these days, but it's probably not something you can just jump into, especially if you don't have much budget.
  • RedHat
    edited December 2013

Vue is paid and it's not a fluid simulator. He would be better of in blender or better yet using a real river
    More than one way to do this... Vue would be perfect because it uses animated textures for water on planes or terrains that are fully animatable in every way. There is also a free version of vue. Check it out.
  • Nate066
    [quote name="RedHat" post="36535" timestamp="1387393598"]More than one way to do this... Vue would be perfect because it uses animated textures for water on planes or terrains that are fully animatable in every way. There is also a free version of vue. Check it out.[/quote] I use vue and it would not work for this purpose. Vue can only fake waters on a even plane. A river has lots of bend on the all axis. Vue only fakes motion of water by using shaders. If you want water to collide and go down a river realistically you need a fluid simulator
  • RedHat
    edited December 2013
    Try using animated procedural terrains in vue or metablobs depending on the current of the water and look.