The Creative Carnival - A Short Documentary (Featuring high speed performances)

DanielMorgan
DanielMorgan Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
edited December 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
i1zt.jpg

Hey guys,
I've been busy the last 2 months directing a short documentary called "The Creative Carnival", due for release in late January. The Creative Carnival looks at the effort's of Molly Rose Brace, a performer, Inspired by the riots to set up a performance company. Here's a short teaser for the film - 
https://vimeo.com/81836329

I've never directed a documentary before, I've worked more in music video and corporate promotional areas, so this was a really interesting experience for me. I will be talking more about the experience in directing the doc, as well as what happens after the film is finished, film festivals and distribution etc. 
Hope you like it, will be posting more soon. 
Thanks
Dan Morgan

Comments

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,187 Staff
    That looks really interesting! I love the use of colours in the teaser. 
    For someone who hasn't done documentaries in the past, this looks like a tour de force. I'll be interested to see how well the documentary works. 
    My only concern would be that with a short teaser you can focus on being powerful, suggestive and aesthetically beautiful, but that may be lost when you are interviewing people and having to pad it out with content.
    Will be really interested to see it and the direction you take the theme when it's done - please do put it back up here :)
  • DanielMorgan
    edited December 2013
    Thank's Kirstie :) In response to your concern, I must admit, when I outlaid the visual style + sequences, I knew that the interview's in comparison to the high speed sequences would be problematic. However, everyone we're interviewing is a performer and thus we shot them doing their skill in the studio with the FS700 (high speed cam). So when you have an interview with say character A, we can inter cut that with their high speed sequence. Hopefully, that'l come across :) Also, MORE posters ;) 
    a719.jpg
    3id7.jpg
  • DanielMorgan
    Just had our first private screening yesterday, went down pretty well :) - Seemed to grab everyones attention. We've also just hit 10k views on vimeo, so I'l start writing about how we've been marketing the film soon. Our first main screening is on the 13th February - Mega nervous about that one "bites nails"
    1546238_10153755622105492_1335292078_n.j
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Looks awesome! Definitely looking forward to seeing it, when it is available for the public, and seeing how you went about creating/marketing this beautiful looking documentary.
  • KirstieT
    I would also be really interested to hear how you went about marketing this documentary. 
    Good luck on the 13th February! (you're alright, it's not a Friday 13th!)
  • DanielMorgan
    I would also be really interested to hear how you went about marketing this documentary. 
    Good luck on the 13th February! (you're alright, it's not a Friday 13th!)

Yes, that was the first thing that shot through my mind when the producer told me the screening date! 

• DanielMorgan
    edited February 2014
    The screening went really well, had really good feedback from everyone!! Brilliant night. Now where looking to send it to various film festivals across country, so really where expecting an online release in March/April time :) ttz0.jpg
  • CalebK
    CalebK Posts: 435
    Wonderfull! It must feel great to have it done. The trailers and posters made it look spectacular (and the performers)
  • DanielMorgan
    Wonderfull! It must feel great to have it done. The trailers and posters made it look spectacular (and the performers)

Yeah It does feel great, It's always a bit nerve wracking when you've worked so hard at something. Fortunately, the crowd likes it, including the people in the documentary. It was a really great night, we've just been short listed for the final event in a large film festival in Bristol, so fingers crossed :D Can't wait to show you lot!

• KirstieT
    It was a really great night, we've just been short listed for the final event in a large film festival in Bristol, so fingers crossed :D Can't wait to show you lot!

Congratulations on being shortlisted - wow! Can't wait to see it :D

• DanielMorgan
    edited May 2014
    Well here it is, after a long wait in the darkness of Vimeo (festivals get iffy about putting things online prior to screenings) - Here is the Creative Carnival, our short piece showcasing the works of Molly Rose Brace,inspired by violence to create something collaborative. 
    https://vimeo.com/84782642
  • DanielMorgan
    Here's all of our slow mo content in one quick and easy video :)https://vimeo.com/88062204
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited June 2014
    Wow!  That was nicely done! Any idea in which frame rate that was shot? 60? The clarity is beautiful and I like the fast forward to slow mo effect. I tried that effect with some fireworks a while back and found HF does a great job in that respect too.
  • CalebK
  • CalebK

Was that particle thing at then end of the slo mo video done in hit film? 

• DanielMorgan
    Frame rate was a mix between 250 - 400fps depending on the content. We shot some of the POI stuff at a really lower shutter as it looked great with that blur effect a low shutter adds :) - Caleb that end shot was done in AE (as the rest of the film's vfx was done in AE for work flow reasons) however it is easily possible to do the end particles in Hitfilm. The particle look is pretty straight forward, they are just blue particles with a bit of motion blur (+blur) - and then add turbulent forces to it to get the movement right. I also added some super out of focus particles that flicker a bit, just to add to it. Same thing again with more blur :)