Lut opacity?

realitycheck3907
realitycheck3907 Posts: 41 Just Starting Out*

I was watching a video of someone applying luts in adobe premiere they added the lut to an adjustment layer and was then able to adjust the opacity of the lut so it wasn't so strong on the video clip. I've noticed on a lot of my drone footage when adding the lut it really darkens my footage a lot, sometimes too dark. So I was wondering is there a way to do this to adjust the opacity of the applied lut? Or change how much of the lut is applied to the clip or a good way to add back in so it's not so dark? Thanks 

Comments

• HIS__Films
    HIS__Films Posts: 530 Just Starting Out*

In a composite shot, add a grade layer, apply your lut, then on the grade layer click the drop down icon ( the triangle facing right) and click on  transform, then from there, drop down your opacity. Hope this is what you were looking for :)

• realitycheck3907

I will try this. Thanks so much. 

• realitycheck3907

I couldn't stand it and had to try it before work. It worked perfect thanks so much. Man I've been nearing that. :)

• HIS__Films

Hey @realitycheck3907 Glad it worked for you! :)

• realitycheck3907

One more question for you guys. I was using this process you gave me last night HIS_Films and it did exactly what I needed and was great. I ran into a problem with some of the clips though. I'm assuming I did something to make it do this but I don't know what. For some reason on like 3 or 4 of the video clips when I would click on them and then do make composit shot it would pull in a completely different video clip then what I clicked on and no matter what I did it would always pull in a completely different clip to the composite shot and then if I went back to the editor it had overlay ed that clip over my origin l clip I had there and I would have to back up and remove that action. Any ideas? 

• HIS__Films

How are you creating the new composite shot? Are you doing it from the media panel and doing it from the original? Or are you creating a comp by right clicking on your video in the editor and clicking create composite? Because this is the way I do it and it works, hope this makes sense, and it's what you are looking for :) Or just click on the video you want in the editor and click ctrl+m ( on windows) or command+m (on Mac) :)

• realitycheck3907

I'm clicking on my clip in the editor time line I tried both right clicking and select create composite shot and using the button on the editor time line top left that is for make composite shot, they all did the same thing. 

• HIS__Films

Hmmm, I am going to tag @Triem23 see what he thinks :)

• realitycheck3907
    edited August 2017

Thanks. I'm trying to get this one finished Haha. 

I also emailed hitfilm and they want me to send a dx file so I'm trying to get my wife to do that for me  since I'm at work. 

• HIS__Films

You are welcome :) I know all about trying to finish a project and something goes wrong at the last minute I have had horrible experience before :) Hopefully Triem will be on here soon.

• realitycheck3907

I've got another issue now I went to a different clip to add some text and when I try to make it a composite shot there's just no video there at all its just a black screen. It's black in the composite shot and in the editor. I'm lost I've never had problems like this with this program. It's really strange. 

• HIS__Films

Hmmm, Have you tried restarting the program? I do not know if it is going to help?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

That's a strange glitch. Triem would recommend contacting Support. Which has been done, so Triem will walk off, muttering about himself in third-person narrative. ;-) 

• realitycheck3907

Yeah. Did that. Something I've done I guess but have no clue what. 

• realitycheck3907
    edited August 2017

There's not a limit to how many composite shots you cab make right?

Restarted the computer also no go. It makes no sense like the one I'm adding text too its just a black screen but the clip right before it goes into a comp shot no problem. 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

In general, correct. In reality one could bump again one's hardware limits. I had one project years ago I effectively lost because I pulled in some huge models and the project ended up needing twice the VRAM my GPU had. 

As a minor note, it's often helpful to split clips to be no more than 4GB--especially with MOV files. Think of it this way (and this has really happened, often). User records a three hour OBS stream and comes up with a single 24GB file, but only has 16GB RAM. This one file now exceeeds what the computer can handle forcing caching to a drive, slowing down performance greatly, and potentially causing other issues. Splitting the file into 4GB segments means the computer can individually handle each segment and release/regrab segments as needed. Speeding up file handling, thus everything else. 

Dunno what your source media is, but, if you have a few massive files, splitting them in the future will help. 

• realitycheck3907

Thanks. I think the whole project is 675 mb's after export.  

Media source is a mavic pro, and a sjcam. All mp4 files 

• realitycheck3907

I know now what it's doing but I don't know why. Instead of it using the clip I have cut out of that whole video and put on my time line. It's just grabbing different sections of that same video and sticking it in the composite shot instead of using the clip that I took out of that video. So now why is it doing that is beyond me.