AVI file

I've just downloaded Hitfilm Express. I've read online it accepts these formats: Quicktime, AVCHD, AVI, M2T, M2TS, MOV, MP4 (AVC/H264 & AAC), MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 (TS, PS, MPE, MPG, MPEG, M2V), MTS, MXF (DVCPro HD), DV, HDV, WMV.

I have an AVI video, but when I put it into HitFilm, this says "File error -> this media could not be imported"

What I have to do?

Comments

• And when I try to import a M2TS video, the program imports it but says that it could not be played. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

An AVI file, like most video containers, can contain many different video formats. You might need to install a Video for Windows (AVI) codec for a specific video format to get it to work in Hitfilm.

A full text report from the free MediaInfo utility will tell us what type of video your AVI file contains.

M2TS files are often AVCHD video. Hitfilm Express needs the Premium format expansion pack to handle AVCHD media. The primary culprit here is the Dolby Digital audio in AVCHD. Hitfilm includes an AVC video decoder. M2TS might also contain MPEG-2 video which still requires the Premium formats pack.

The Premium formats pack exists because Express is FREE and FxHome has to pay license fees for every user of Hitfilm for the various video formats supported. So some of these exist in the Premium pack.

• Format : AVI at 3.004 kb/s
    Length : 2,18 GiB for 1 o 43 min 50s 335 ms

Video #0 : MPEG-4 Visual at 2.761 kb/s
    Aspect : 1280 x 534 (2.397) at 23.976 fps

Audio #0 : MPEG Audio at 32,0 kb/s
    Infos : 2 canali, 44,1 kHz

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Ah. Yeah, you're going to have to resort to transcoding your AVI filez

Mpeg-4 (h. 264) is a codec that doesn't actually work well in AVI at all. Getting h.264 into AVI requires "hacks" of the AVI container as h. 264 does things (b-frames) AVI doesn't support. 

Hitfilm does not support h.264 in AVI and never will. That's an "illegal" combination. 

I defer to @NormanPCN on best method to transcode. I'm actually not certain if Handbrake parses h.264 in AVI. 

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@Marina97 & @Triem23

In this case "MPEG-4 Visual" actually means  Xvid/Divx type encoding. I'm 99% sure @NormanPCN tested Xvid once before so there is a way to get it to import but the performance was atrocious so you're much, much better off just transcoding. 

Handbrake and FFMpeg are probably the best options and NormanPCN covers how to use both in his thread.

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42415/transcoding-to-fast-decode-avc-for-timeline-performance

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

@Aladdin4d ah. Good to know re: xvid/divX I'll see what Norman adds. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast
    edited August 2017

I think we have enough information about the media but a full text report is always best.

I have tested MPEG-4 Visual (ASP, xvid) but only in MP4 containers which Hitfilm natively supports. Pro at least.

For AVI one would have to install the xvid VfW decoder. I would have to redo/recheck some old tests but AVI (Video for Windows) in Hitfilm is/was not as good as native MP4 container support. The native Cineform AVI support in Hitfilm 2017 is excluded from that statement. Cineform AVI is the best Hitfilm 2017 has.

For MPEG-4 ASP/xvid in MP4, basic single stream decode performance was good but it fell flat on it's face when you had multiple simultaneous streams. The decoder seems to bottleneck whereas the other native MP4 codecs, AVC and mpeg-2, just keep using whatever remaining unused CPU power you still have.