Hunger Games: The Lost Tribute

Andrew
Andrew Posts: 379 Enthusiast
edited December 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
Hey guys,
While wrapping up a larger Hunger Games-themed project for a production co in LA, I decided to take one of the costumes from the production out in the woods and shoot a little one-off short with my actor buddy John this past weekend. The result is the following short, titled Hunger Games: The Lost Tribute, which picks up in the arena of the 'games' during the timeline of the recent film, Catching Fire. Which, if you haven't seen, you should. Because it's fantastic. And I'm not even someone who read- or cares at all- about the books. Just a really solid, well-directed movie.
But enough of that. Just check this out and, if you're kind enough, let me know your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxDz3xiNZA
An Atomic Production

As the 75th Hunger Games began, tributes from 12 Districts were released to compete.
Shortly thereafter, a tribute from the forgotten District 13 surfaced in the arena.

He is The Lost Tribute.

Directed by Ben & Andrew Adams   -   Starring John Redlinger

Written by Andrew Adams & John Redlinger

Cinematography by Ben Adams

Editing by Andrew Adams

Comments

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,089 Staff
    edited December 2013
    This was spectacular! I thoroughly enjoyed it and am very jealous that you created this as just a "little one off short". Your titles were especially impressive. I brought it up to full screen and wouldn't find it out of place at the cinema if it were to introduce the next Hunger Games movie.
    I loved the concept - always wondered what would fill the silence for the tributes between fighting etc. The humour was spot on and I think it was really aesthetically pleasing as well.
    Which camera did you use? I'm not detracting from your talent at all in framing the shot as everything - the lighting and set up was all great - it's just that the clip was so sharp and crisp.
    The only problem I had (a tiny one) was the final shot. It sounded a little odd, and perhaps the blood could have spattered a little differently. But again, any problem I had with that was immediately offset by the BOOM of the cannons after.
    Please, please do put this on the movie wall so that everyone can see it. Kudos to you man - a great piece!
  • Andrew
    Thanks Kirstie, really appreciate you taking the time to write stuff out in-depth. The short was shot on the Canon C100, a really great cinema cam we've used on most of our stuff recently. Very sharp, great sensor.

The ending it wanted to do a CGI arrow or something of the sort, but after I went through a few renditions the least-distracting and most-effective conclusion just felt to me to show a minor blood spurt and hold on the closing shot for a few moments to play the canon noise. Which, I think you'll agree, bolsters the ending haha.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Posts: 1,089 Staff
    Thanks Kirstie, really appreciate you taking the time to write stuff out in-depth. The short was shot on the Canon C100, a really great cinema cam we've used on most of our stuff recently. Very sharp, great sensor. The ending it wanted to do a CGI arrow or something of the sort, but after I went through a few renditions the least-distracting and most-effective conclusion just felt to me to show a minor blood spurt and hold on the closing shot for a few moments to play the canon noise. Which, I think you'll agree, bolsters the ending haha.

No problem - I was so enamoured with it all that I had to write it out in depth :)
    I agree - using an arrow probably would have detracted from the simplicity of the short as a whole. The blood spurt works well as a nice, simple concept - perhaps it's the striking colour I have more of a problem with? But yes, as you say, the cannon fire bolsters the ending and makes it humorous again.
    Which pizza delivery service did you use? I have never experienced service like that! Ha ha ;D

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited December 2013
    I haven't seen Catching Fire yet but I forwarded this to some friends of mine. They absolutely loved it!
    I hope when I start my project my camera footage results are as good as yours. :) And I say this despite your using the competor's pizza company instead of mine.
  • That was hilarious! Great video! I really liked the imagery and how much footage you got out of that one shot. The costumes were very accurate to the film as well. All around great job and I am actually looking to model some of my work after this. 
  • Andrew
    Thanks, guys. The views have grown to around 30-35,000 in the past few days, so thanks for the support and viewership- really pleased with how people are responding to our little short. Titles were done in Photoshop, for those interested, and composited over with a layer of stock fire and stock footage of flickering embers, hue-shifted to that deep red color on a black background. All just layered together in Vegas Pro.