[Answered] Audio / Video Desync

KrykyKryky Website User Posts: 8
edited August 2017 in HitFilm

Hey, whenever i record (i use shadowplay) and i put in the file to hitfilm, i make sure that the audio sample rate and frame rate match but this doesnt stop the audio from becoming more and more out of sync as time goes on. ive really no idea what to do i dont think it is shadow play because when i watch the raw recording via media player its all in sync but when in hitfilm it gets out of sync after a while. the footage is 59.94 and the project is at 59.94 and the footage is 48000Hz and the project is 48000Hz.  

Please help!

Comments

• KrykyKryky Website User Posts: 8
    edited July 2017

oh i should clarify its not just when i export that it is out of sync, but in the editor aswell also at the end of the clip there are some frames in the editor that have diagonal lines going through them and the video track has a bit more of them than the audio track

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

Well, here's a video covering tge "why" of your issue and several ways to fix it. 

• TheNickleTheNickle Website User Posts: 12

I'd recommend using Hitfilm Express 2017. I'm guessing you're using an older version of Hitfilm (possibly 4) which doesn't support variable frame-rate which the 2017 version does. I've been using it and so far my Shadowplay footage hasn't had any desync issues or any problems in general. Plays back & exports how it should properly. This is (imo) one of the biggest advantages of the 2017 version. Another alternative is to transcode your footage into a 'constant frame-rate' using something like Handbrake.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

@TheNickle for the record, even in Hitfilm 2017 I would recommend transcoding VFR sources before import into Hitfilm. Your Shadowplay footage seems to be working for you, but my phone (HTC m9) is REALLY variable in its variable frame rate. I shot a lot of fireworks footage July 4, all of it at "29.97" fps. I found (using MediaInfo reports)  my phone's frame rate sometimes dropped below 20! When directly importing the phone footage Hitfilm was incorrectly interpreting some clips as 24 or 25 fps! 

VFR is a pain and there's a good reason no NLE even tried for native support before Hitfilm. Hitfilm doesn't always interpret the VFR correctly, so, for anal-retentive safety... I still transcode. 

• TheNickleTheNickle Website User Posts: 12
    edited August 2017

@Triem23 at the very least I'm glad it works (in my case anyway). VFR definitely is weird and it's a good thing that the 2017 version of Express tries to address it even though it isn't perfect.  

This discussion has been closed.