Minecraft Server Trailer and VFX Breakdown

I spent six months of work on this Minecraft server trailer for a friend and made it entirely in Hitfilm.
Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpFuKC6-Uy0
VFX Breakdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJL3eTCgY4
Everything about the program has been great except for two complaints. A ram preview like the one in After Effects would be nice for people like me that don't have super GPUs as things got pretty laggy the more effects I added. I also don't like the lack of export options. I've was unable to achieve a satisfying quality with the mp4s and the AVIs had huge file sizes. I ended up having to export an AVI, bring it into after effects and export as a MOV with the DNxHD codec. Other than that I'm really happy with this program.
Let me know what you think and consider giving the trailer a like on youtube if you enjoyed it (Me and the trailer owner are trying to get it as noticed as possible).

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,244 Ambassador
    Hitfilm does have a RAM preview! It's the "play" button on the right of the preview window (seperate from the main transport controls) Although I agree with you that more output formats would be nice. However, as a Vegas editor, I can always move a Hitfilm project into Vegas and render to DnxHD from there--that, of course, only works with Vegas. Nice work!
  • Smash StudiosSmash Studios Website User Posts: 9
    Cool! I use Premier Pro so the Vegas integration won't work for me but that's good to know anyways in case I do decide to switch for some reason.The export options wasn't a huge complaint since I can take it into After Effects. It's just another step I have to take in the exporting process. Thanks for letting me know about the RAM preview! It'l save me from exporting multiple times from not being able to properly time certain things due to lag.
  • Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    edited December 2013
    I also made a minecraft trailer in hitfilm 2 a while ago. Since then the server went down but what do you think of the trailer?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LUaO_8x_Fs
    The text parts were a little long especially the last one and the shot before the block eating zombies text was very dark. I did like the color grade on your first shot and the flame effect was an interesting way to transition between texts.
  • Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    The text parts were a little long especially the last one and the shot before the block eating zombies text was very dark. I did like the color grade on your first shot and the flame effect was an interesting way to transition between texts.

I have to agree that the text shots were a little too long. 

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    About the export thing, you could make that a little easier by setting up Adobe Media Encoder which comes with After Effects to watch a specific folder. That way you can render your video from HitFilm to that folder, and Media Encoder will automatically transcode that to your desired output format, so you don't have to fire up After Effects for that.
    That's brilliant! I had never really looked at what Media Encoder did. This'll save me a lot of time in the future. Thanks!
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    Another option for quickly converting the AVIs to something else like DNxHD or Prores is to use ffmpeg, perhaps with a GUI front-end like Avanti. I've been using this recently to convert AVIs to Prores on Windows and has been working out great so far for use within Hitfilm and Resolve:
    http://avanti.arrozcru.com/
  • WCrispyWCrispy Website User Posts: 3
    Just curious, did you record the footage yourself and if so, what program and codec did you use? I've been having a lot of trouble getting DXTory to output a file that doesn't lag within HitFilm 2 Express.
  • JaytelProvenceJaytelProvence Website User Posts: 4
    Hey Smash Studios I loved the trailer. I do think through that when you showed the words there was just a little bit to much camera shake and lens flare brightness. But other than that i loved your trailer!
    -jay