How to use the motion blur without composite layer?

Hi,
how can I get a motion blur effect if I doesn't use a composite layer? Where can I find the shutter angle parameter?
Ciao,
Micha

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,275 Power User
    Shutter angle is in the advanced tab of composite shot properties.
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,659 Enthusiast
    edited November 2013
    What do you mean by not using a composite layer? Are you in the Editor timeline? If yes, I'd suggest converting the layer you want to blur into a composite shot first and apply the motion blur inside of that composite shot, you have more control that way. If you're in a composite shot, you can adapt the global motion blur settings for that composite shot by going into it's properties and switch over to the advanced tab.
  • Micha3D
    Micha3D Posts: 29
    edited November 2013
    Converting anything to composite layers sounds quite user unfriendly. I have a few tracks at my time line and I want get a motion blur for the whole movie. This seams to be impossible. So I would apply it to the tracks - it can be done per drag and drop, but it can't be controlled? I don't like to create composite shots for each track. 
    Also I can use motion blur at composite layers, but can't keyframing the amount, since it's a composite layer properties. Why can be the motion blur not be a simple filter like the motion trails?
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,275 Power User
    edited November 2013
    Just guessing here, but I think the reason for motion blur being assigned at the composite shot level is that real motion blur is a function of shutter speed on the camera. Slower shutter-more blur.
    The "shutter speed" control is measured in degrees because the film camera shutter is a rotating circle with a cut-out. 180degrees is the baseline shutter for 24 fps film.
    You can't change a shutter in the middle of a shot.
    Because motion blur is in-camera, it makes sense that, realistically, a single motion blur is used in a composite shot. Different objects wouldn't have different blurs. So it's MORE user friendly to have a global blur, rather than having to paste an identical blur across all my layers.
    Hitfilm is designed to do most of the effects work in composite shots. If you're putting a ton of tracks in the edit timeline and trying to build your effects there, you're working opposite to its.Intended workflow. Hitfilm is primarily an effects/compositing program with editing (unlike NLE's, which are designed to edit, but happen to have effects.).
    Edited to add section on keyframing.
    And, of course, you can add the motion blur effect to a layer: In the controls panel, you can change the mode from "Comp Settings" (global) to "Custom"... and, in custom setting, you can change the Shutter Angle (Blur amount), Shutter Phase (Blur Direction) and Samples (Blur Smoothness)--all of which can be keyframed.
    If you want to apply a blur to all layers, but still keyframe, you can put a grade layer at the top of the composite shot and apply the motion blur to that.
    Edited to discuss After Effects.
    After Effects works in the same workflow, by the way--terms are a bit different, but, yeah: After Effects wants you to create a project, where at the project (editor) level, you arrange your shots. You put your shots and effects together in Compositions (Composite Shots). You Precomp (Embed Composites) more complicated composites.
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,659 Enthusiast
    Yeah, what Triem said. If you want to apply motion blur to a series of shots, put them all together in a composite shot, add a grade layer above them and apply the motion blur to that. This is the whole concept of HitFilm, Edit in the Editor and add effects inside the composite shots. The editor is not made for effects work.
  • Thank you very much for the detailed infos. It's good to understand the concept of a good workflow.  :)