Harry Potter Effect

I've created a priori incantatem on a separate composite tab.  The background used in that tab was a black plane.  I've been able to make the particles in the effect glow using a grade, which works perfectly with the black background.  But, when I add my clip in, the grade causes the entire shot to become overexposed.  How do I keep the particles glowing without it effecting the rest of the clip?  Is there a way to make the clip unaffected by the grade?

Comments

• Nate066
    Nate066 Posts: 191
    [quote name="TSProductions" post="35932" timestamp="1385691569"]I've created a priori incantatem on a separate composite tab.  The background used in that tab was a black plane.  I've been able to make the particles in the effect glow using a grade, which works perfectly with the black background.  But, when I add my clip in, the grade causes the entire shot to become overexposed.  How do I keep the particles glowing without it effecting the rest of the clip?  Is there a way to make the clip unaffected by the grade?[/quote]
    Apply the glow effect to the particals layer
  • Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    Pre-compose the particle layer into it's own composite shot with a blackbackground, and apply the glow effects in there. Then place the comp shot with the particle layer in the original comp shot, using the "Screen" or "Add" blend mode. This should work fine in most cases.