miniDV workflow

I have been using the trial version of Hit Film Ultimate 2 and was wondering what others are doing in terms of workflow for miniDV footage prior to editing in HIt Film?
I have a lot of raw home movie footage on tapes that I would like edit. I have played around with Hit Film and ran into the following:
1) There is no capture from camera feature
2) When I use other capture tools, the footage is interlaced (NTSC, 29.97 fps, interlaced AVI files) and appears to have 'jaggies' or 'comb effects'. When I export (only limited to YouTube at this point due to the trial), the output looks a bit better than the raw AVI but the artifacts are still present, especially in areas of movement. Perhaps this is an issue with the YouTube export but not sure. I see that it is recommended that only progressive footage be used with HitFilm (http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/2577-interlaced-footage/?hl=interlace#entry21210) and (http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/834-working-with-interlaced-video/page-1?hl=+interlace%20+sony%20+vegas)
What are others doing for editing miniDV footage? Have people had good luck with Hit Film's built-in de-interlacing when exporting to files?
Here are some of the things I have considered:
1) Footage Capture (I am on Windows 7). Currently all of these methods can capture but all result in interlaced footage. 
  a) Windows Movie Maker: Free. No scene detection.
  b) WinDV: Free and simple. Has scene detection
  c) Adobe Premier Elements: Low cost. Has scene detection.
  d) Sony Vegas: Have not used. More expensive. Integrated with Hit Film but Sony apparently does not de-interlace footage upon import or prior to sending to HitFilm. 
  e) Virtual Dub: Free. Have not used. At first glance, UI seems confusing.
2) If de-interlacing is done prior to importing to Hit Film, here are some things I have looked at:
  a) Use capture software to de-interlace (e.g. Premier Elements, Vegas, etc...) and export
  b) Use a separate tool like MPEG Streamclip to convert from interlaced AVI to progressive AVI
  c) Use a separate tool like Handbrake to convert from interlaced AVI to progressive MP4 file
These are all feasible but take an extra step in the workflow. While I understand that de-interlacing footage is less optimal than shooting progressive in the first place, is one de-interlacing solution better than another? 
So I have several options to capture footage and de-interlace. Is there a 'best' option? Is there an option that can capture and de-interlace at the same time? 
Thanks!