Does Mocha Pro work on After Effects?

Does Mocha Pro work on After Effects too as a plugin?

Comments

• CPestoCPesto Website User Posts: 45
    edited June 2017

Mocha is already included in AE CC.  I don't think the mocha data from HF (assuming you have HF Pro or purchased the additional plugin) will work in AE. 

• DrLiorVBarElDrLiorVBarEl Website User Posts: 22

but is it the same with all the stuff included in the one you guys have?

• CPestoCPesto Website User Posts: 45

I googled some previous discussions and found these by one of the moderators (Triem23). I hope this helps.

"AE comes with a version of Mocha that only does roto splines. There's a version that adds camera tracking, but it's $150. The Mocha that ships with Hitfilm has the camera tracking AND rotospline modules."

"Mocha Hitfilm--Based on Mocha 4. In HFP 2017 Mocha is based off Mocha 5 and runs as a plug-in effect, not an external program."

After reading around some more, I think the answer to your question is "yes".  Hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm (or unconfirmed) this.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha-pro/

Mocha Pro has all features. Yes it works in AE and other apps as a plug-in. That is the retail version of mocha Pro.

Your question was general, but I assume you are asking this because of an email you probably received about a mocha  Pro offer from FxHome. I got the same email. That email indicates to me that it is license restricted to Hitfilm Pro. This restriction could also account for the low price.

Maybe someone from FxHome staff will pop in and clarify, IF it is that offer you are asking about.

If your question is in general (retail mocha), then it is probably best directed to the mocha people.

• FXhomer83467FXhomer83467 Website User Posts: 17

I suspect, that the comparison on imagineers webpage is not anymore valid, since hitfilm 2017 now uses also mocha plugin version 5.1.1. and not v4.x as stated on imagineers webpage.

So my question would be for a valid feature comparison between HF 2017 mocha 5.1.1 plugin and mocha pro 5.1.1 plugin which is currently on sale by hitfilm.

Can someone help me with that?

Thanks

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

This video covers what the Mocha Pro on sale adds over the included version.

Thank you.

I did corner pin with the hf default plugin and HF2017  before - So insert is not really something new for HF 2017 users, right?

So the really additional stuff is Remove, stabilize, lens - or do I miss something?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Long story short. Mocha Hitfilm will do roto splines, camera solves and object tracking. Mocha Hitfilm only exports Hitfilm Composite Shots and will not export data useful for any program but Hitfilm. 

Mocha Ae is the same as the above paragraph, except, obviously, exports data that only Ae can use. 

Mocha Pro adds Lens Correction, Stabilization, Object Removal and (Overlay) Insert modes, and can export data in formats usable by Hitfilm, Ae, Nuke, Maya and a whole bunch of other programs. Also, Mocha Pro can handle 3D and 360-degree footage. 

Lens Correction is nice to have in Mocha, but could be done in Hitfilm before importing footage into Mocha. 

Stabilization is superior to that in Hitfilm. It's not a Warp Stabilization, but it's very controllable. I do use Mocha Stabilization when I want to dial in "partial" stabilization. 

Removal is very powerful and really is the killer reason to upgrade. My Mocha Pro is still v3, but the Remove module is the only reason I sometimes use Pro instead of Mocha Hitfilm. Removal is far more advanced in mocha than any of the four ways to try object removal in Hitfilm Express, or the five ways in Hitfilm Pro. 

Insert is nice to have in Mocha--picture a built-in Quad Warp with Bezier Warp. But, again, this is something that can be done in Hitfilm using tracking data. 

So, Stabilization and Removal are the reasons to upgrade. Lens Correction and Insert are things that can be convenient to have in Mocha, but are things that can be done in Hitfilm. If you have other software besides Hitfilm and Mocha, the additional export formats are helpful to have. Say you want to take tracking data into Blender--you'll need Pro. 

Great-thats just what I wanted.

Concerning removal in hf 2017

Is there a thread or clip which describes all five removal methods?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Film Empire just did a video on three of them, available on his YouTube page. The Hitfilm channel has tutorials on the fourth, Clone Stamp, and fifth, Pro-only method, Camera Projection. 

Thanks again

Do I understand it right concerning remove - i can achieve with hf pro and mocha hf the same result as with mocha pro only i need more time and patience? 

If thats right, then for me as hobbyist doing not more than 50 hours work in a year, its not really adequate. All though still tempted to buy the pro.....