PC intel i7 3,4ghz 32 ram... why does is it so slow?

hello!

i just got a new pc processor i7, 3,4ghz with 32go ram and a good geforce graphic card.

i try to run hitfilm pro but it's so slow, if i put only one effext on the video i can't read it properly, it's like beeing on my old laptop. any odeas how i can solve the problem? it costs me a lot to get this pc for videos editing, i was expecting something powerful... thank you for your help!

Comments

• Penguinwithgun0Penguinwithgun0 Website User Posts: 1

There is a little button next to the zoom slider, click on that and then click on preview mode and change it to none. Im not 100% sure if it will make it better but it won't hurt to give it a try.

Hope this helps!

• ShockyShocky Website User Posts: 8

Which graphics card are you using?

Also are you converting your footage to a more editable format such as dnxhd?

• KimFramesKimFrames Website User Posts: 30

Using DNxHR as format for your footage helps a lot with speed but it does sound like you might have some other issue. Like Shocky, I would also like to know exactly which graphics card you have and is you monitor actually connected to it? Just want to know because I have seen people using integrated graphics by mistake before. 
    You can use the excellent Dali's Mustache to do the conversion to DNxHR.
    Download Avid Codecs from here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador
    edited July 2017

Hi, the first thing I would try is to determine if the problem if GPU performance or decoder issue. Start a new Comp, place a black plane layer then add one of the stock 3d effects say, the bonfire effect, see how this plays back. If all ok, add your media (video) to the layer stack and try it again, if this then starts to (chug - a recent Corridor Digital  video introduced me to this term) then the video file format is more then likely the issue.

I'd still post your GPU specs just to check, and do the normal make sure the drivers for the graphics card is up to date.

good luck.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

Post your GPU specs. Hitfilm really uses the CPU for file encode, decode, and, in Pro, particle physics calculations. Your GPU does all rendering tasks. 

Lets say your "good GeForce card" is an Nvidia 1050. That's SLOWER than my nvidia 980m, and the 980m is roughly equivalent to a desktop 770. This means the 1050 is pretty good, but it's not great by any means. 

@Andy001z lets not credit Corridor Digital with "chug" to describe choppy frame rate. That's like people describing 30 year old zoom transitions as "Sam Kolder" or the 19th century techniques used in "The Matrix" as "Bullet Time."

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

@Triem23 well it was a new one on my, unless someone was talking about a steam boat chugging along and it just so happened that I watched one of the recent @CorridorDigital videos about a new editing station (freebie, those luck lucky (insert rest of Monty Python here) and so it was foremost in my mind. But in the interest of not spreading false hoods #fakequotes I will amend my post.