Hitfilm Hogging all of my RAM?

randomthing23
randomthing23 Website User Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in HitFilm

I have had an issue recently where I would be using Hitfilm Express 2017; When I'm using Hitfilm over a period of time, it starts to consume more and more RAM. I opened one of my projects and opened task manager and watched as it slowly increased from 150MB usage to 650MB, then it jumped to 3GB and everything freezes. I can't even move my mouse. I have 4GB of 2400mhz Corsair RAM but I don't see why it would require so much just sitting there. Even while editing videos it doesn't go this high. Any advice? I have an Intel i5-6500 @3.2GHz quad core and a Nvidia GT 730 graphics card.

Comments

• DannyDev
    DannyDev Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 337 Staff

Thanks for the report. Can you let us know exactly what you're doing?

• randomthing23
    randomthing23 Website User Posts: 2

I'm just adding pictures to a 20 minute clip

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,305 Ambassador

Do you mean that you have a 20-minute video imported, and you're overlaying pictures on top of that?  Or is it something else?

If you have any lengthy footage imported, that may be part of the problem.  In another thread, @Triem23 pointed out that HitFilm doesn't like long clips.  I was trying to edit a project where my raw footage was about 20 minutes, and I'd imported it as-is (after transcoding).  I couldn't edit more than 5 minutes before HitFilm froze, and I had to force it to close and restart again.  Long story short, what solved the problem was trimming the raw footage into several smaller chunks.  Once I'd done that, I didn't have a single freeze.  Give that a shot and see if it helps.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast
    edited July 2017

I've got some 15 minute clips and Hitfilm does not have a problem with those in simple tests. The Media is AVC+AAC in an MP4 file. ~35Mbps data rate. I saw Hitfilm only using 320MB of ram. Again simple tests, and close only counts in horseshoes. 

This discussion has been closed.