4k in FHD project

VegasAndHitfilmYeahVegasAndHitfilmYeah Website User Posts: 8

Hi,

I have the problem that 4k footage to be used in a 1080p project is kind of cropped. I.e. I only get the FHD portion of the 4k video in the preview. What can I do to have it display correctly automatically once inserted to the timeline?

Thanks.

Comments

• HIS__FilmsHIS__Films Website User Posts: 535

So you are trying to get a 4k video into a 1080p video and the 4k is big, if that is the case simply scale the 4k image down till it fits to the size you want :)

• VegasAndHitfilmYeahVegasAndHitfilmYeah Website User Posts: 8

Thanks, of course I could do that but this seems tedious. Isn't there an easier way? So that it scales automatically?

• HIS__FilmsHIS__Films Website User Posts: 535

Are all your videos 4k? because when you start a new project change the settings to 4k then they will all fit when you edit, then when you export export it to 1080p, hope this is what you are talking about :)

Ya, I was thinking about that too. My PC is not that powerful so I thought it better to use proxies and work in 1080p. I come from Vegas (which currently doesn't even launch for some reason) and there I can set the project resolution and upon dragging video files to the timeleine Vegas scales them to that resolution whithout a glitch. Thought there might be a setting in HitFilm that does the same.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador
    edited June 2017

A couple of observations.

First--Vegas is primarily an editor. It's workflow assumes all imported media should be conformed to timeline dimensions. Hitfilm is primarily a VFX/compositor. It's workflow assumes all imported media should be left at original dimensions. There is currently no way in Hitfilm to change this behavior. It would be nice to add a toggle to the Options Menu for "default scaling for media added to timeline," to toggle between auto-scale and leave at 100%.

Second--on the Editor Timeline in Hitfilm, you can right-click on a media clip, move up to "Transform" and try one of the three inbuilt options: "Fit to Frame," "Fit to Frame Width," or "Fit to Frame Height." For 4K video, it doesn't matter which option you choose as the aspect ratio will be the same. In a Composite Shot you'll have to manually adjust scale using the Transform controls. (It would be nice to have that Transform Menu added to the right-click context menu in a Composite Shot.)

Third--proxies in Hitfilm are not intended to batch convert all footage for editing. Hitfilm's proxies are full-resolution, lossless files with a very low compression ratio (HUGE file sizes), and are intended to prerender a complex Composite Shot down to a single media clip for timeline editing. To be technical, "Proxy" is the wrong name from what Hitfilm is doing. A traditional proxy is a half-res, low quality file intended to lower overhead. As stated, Hitfilm's "proxies" are full-resolution, full quality "prerenders." These full-res Hitfilm proxies also take up a lot of drive bandwidth (really, you need an SSD). Proxies of all your video clips before editing will NOT speed up Hitfilm response, and, depending on your drive speed and how many layers you have, might even slow you down.

Transcoding for optimized performance in Hitfilm is a complex topic. This thread: http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42415/transcoding-to-fast-decode-avc-for-timeline-edit-performance#latest and this thread: http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/6418/the-intermediate-codec-thread#latest and THIS thread: http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42349/transcoding-for-better-performance-and-easier-editing#latest are all dedicated to that one topic, as is this video:

You say your PC isn't great--what are your specs? CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage?

edited June 2017

Thank you for your thorough explanations.

My PC has an AMD A10-7850K APU (I guess, am at work right now) with Radeon R7 GPU built in, 16 GB RAM, OS is Windows 10 running from a Samsung SSD, footage resides on a WD Blue hard drive.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

Oh... I'm pretty certain Hitfilm doesn't directly support AMD APUs. I'm going to tag @DanielGWood to confirm. I'd tag Geoffrey Papin, but that does no good (joke, Daniel ;-)). 

I'm not certain about Vegas. 

If your final output is going to be 1080p I recommend transcoding your footage down before input. "Norman h.264" (covered in at least one thread linked above, and in the video) is arguably the best tradeoff in performance vs file size. Cineform is probably the best for performance. 

Unfortunately your system is pretty near minimum spec (Hitfilm might not even let you create a 4k project), so transcoding will be important. You might often need to drop viewer resolution to Half or Quarter. 

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2017

AMD APUs are technically unsupported at this time, yes. Generally speaking they would be near the minimum spec, and you'd get much better performance from a dedicated GPU.

Thank you both. I have been thinking about upgrading my PC to a Ryzen CPU and the latest AMD graphics card. But this requires a whole lot of other expenses: motherboard, RAM ... And I'm not quite "ready" for this (unfortunately).

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@VegasAndHitfilmYeah Since you're a Vegas user as well sticking with an AMD GPU in a future upgrade is probably a good idea because Vegas isn't working all that well with Nvidia GPU's but thanks to cryptocurrency miners you can't get a decent AMD GPU right now. An rx 580, a card that normally runs between $200.00 and $300.00 depending on the configuration, is going for around $650.00 when you can find one in stock. If you're lucky you might find a dealer willing to let you pre-order one at a normal price but then you're looking at a 4-6 week wait. 

Or you might find an off the shelf system with an rx 580 for $650.00

http://www.pcgamer.com/get-a-complete-cyberpower-gaming-pc-with-an-amd-radeon-rx-580-for-650/

Sounds like a good deal but I'm in Germany, so the postage alone will probably be half the price of the PC ;-) But thanks anyway. ;-)

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Vegas works fine with older NVidia GPUs - like mine -  they just stopped adding support for newer ones when the transition from Sony to Magix was going on. They plan to add more and hopefully that'll happen in an update sooner rather than later.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Palacono They stopped earlier than that! The last Nvidia GPU known to work well with Vegas is the GTX 580. If you go newer than that it's time to play Driver Roullette. No thanks I'd rather not.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

On my GTX 980 Vegas has a runaway thread. It will stop eventually after stopping playback. Anywhere from ~45 seconds to X minutes depending on circumstances. I don't remember that ever happening when I had an AMD 7950 back in the day.

The thread is in the OpenCL driver but other OpenCL apps do not have the runaway thread. So I assume the thread is in driver executing on behalf of Vegas.