Back to the Future Effects/ Channel Update

zach_alanzach_alan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 439 Just Starting Out

I'm thinking if doing some sort of Back to the Future video, and was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas on how to do the effect when the Delorean time travels? 

I have some ideas with the lightning effect, but does anyone know some free stock footage for the fire trails? If not, how would I use the fire effect in Hitfilm to make realistic fire trails like this? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• zach_alanzach_alan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 439 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2017

Never mind, I figured it out :)

After Effects tutorial:

• zach_alanzach_alan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 439 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2017

If you go to my Youtube channel you will notice my name, logo, etc have changed. These changes will also occur to my Hitfilm account shortly... (I used to be ZCC Productions)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

Looks good!

Duplicate your fire layer. Give the duplicate smaller, denser flames and change speed and seed a bit. Fire requires multiple layers to really look good. 

Good idea @Triem23 . I'm going to leave this one for now. This was just a test to see how the effect worked in Hitfilm. I might make a little short that uses this effect sometime soon....

I originally wanted to use fire stock footage, but couldn't find a decent free one...

Also just noticed that the edge of the fire is cut off. Oops! I still really like the result, and with  duplicating it like you said it should look even better! Thanks!

@Triem23

Is there a way to make the fire look more like it is on the ground, or do you think it looks good?

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

If you're looking to recreate a desired effect, always use original footage as reference.  Freeze-frame it, loop it, etc., so that you can study what it looks like.  Or you could find footage of something similar from real life:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/burning-car-leaves-incredible-back-6862544

From watching clips from the original films and this piece I found above, one of the keys to grounding your fire is to have a more solid base.  Right now you've got distinct clumps of flames.  While it does mostly feel like it's a pair of lines, the gaps between flames takes away from the impression they're coming from a continuous trail of some substance on the road that's burning. Following the layering suggestion from @Triem23 will be a good start, but it may require other elements to create the right effect.

edited June 2017

I tried what you said @Triem23 and it definitely looks better.

@jsberrett thanks for the link. This is my first time using the fire effect  in Hitfilm, and I see what you mean now. I'll try messing around with the settings some more...

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

Heh...I posted my reply above while you were posting this. It definitely looks better, but it still feels like each flame element is being spawned from a point on the road, not from a continuous trail.  It needs a more solid, glowing base from which the individual flames are born.  By "solid" I mean it should feel continuous, but it also needs to be organic so that its shape ebbs and flows with the flames.  To use a real-life reference, what you have now feels like someone splashed a flammable fluid onto the road in patches, with those patches forming two lines, and lit the patches.  What you need is the impression that someone poured this fluid into two solid lines.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

What he said. :)

How about....(wet finger in the air time) taking one of the flame bits, stretching it out, flattening it a bit and using it as a base under the other flame sections to tie them together a bit more?

@Palacono and @jsbarrett I've been playing around with the fire effect and made a continuous long flame as you said. I will try it now...

Here we go! @Palacono  @jsbarrett @Triem23

I created an entirely new flame simulation and tried my best to match it to the video/description you gave. I also added my smaller old simulation behind and added a  glow effect to tie it all together. I agree that before it definitely looked off, but now I think it looks great. Thanks for the help! 

MUCH better! 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

Oh, yeah, now THAT looks like flaming road. 

Thanks for the support and help everyone! It's greatly appreciated!

@Triem23 @Stargazer54 @jsbarret @Palacono

As you all know I often try to recreate effects from movies tv shows, etc. I find that it is a great way as a beginner to VFX to learn techniques and the software, and it is also fun to see what Hitfilm is capable of compared to Hollywood films! Through this project, I've also really learned how powerful HF is compared to AE. 

Pretty soon over this summer you should hopefully be seeing some actual short fan films and such, so I can put these techniques to the test...

Also, not sure if you could tell, but I recreated Video Copilot's shockwave in  Hitfilm with his AE tutorial. It is used in the above video.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Looks good to me! :)