Ironman HUD elements

CPestoCPesto Website User Posts: 45

Does anyone know how the HUD elements were created? Was it in HF or another software and then imported?

Thanks

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

In other software.

Maybe the easiest way to create a lot of stuff like that would be with Red Giant Universe. They have a HUD graphic effect that is pretty easy to use.

Since RG Universe is an external plug-in you can only use it in Hitfilm Pro.

http://www.redgiant.com/universe-tools/hud-components/

• CPestoCPesto Website User Posts: 45

Thanks for the link NormanPCN, but what if someone wanted to create their own. What would be a good program to use (i.e. AI, Affinity Designer, ?) and what file type should they be saved as (i.e. PNG?)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Any stills editing program will work, in which case you'd want to save as PNG to preserve transparency.

That said, Hitfilm itself has plenty of ways to make HUD elements ( @NormanPCN I'm gonna tag you here for reference). Honestly, no outside software is needed to make a great HUD.

AGARTSCO has this Hitfilm 2 Ultimate tutorial on creating shapes for motion graphics, but you'll notice these techniques are great for making HUD elements.

Tooshka Training has several tutorials--again, Hitfilm 2 Ultimate--that are useful techniques for HUD elements.

• CPestoCPesto Website User Posts: 45

Wow, thanks Triem23!

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@Triem23 Of course you can create elements in Hitfilm. Not really like the ones in the Iron Man video. There is of course a cost since those items in HF are not designed to do such things. With sufficient force, and consequence, you can fit a square peg into a round hole. Although the shapes one might be easier in HF. I'd seen that tutorial ages ago. Real outside the box thinking. Still very limited in what it can result in.

If HF is all you got, then you gotta do what you gotta do. Especially Express. The OP talked about Affinity. Affinity is a good tool at reasonable cost and the community is creating a lot of elements to help create projects.

I always think in time and effort and talent (or lack thereof).

If one likes the Iron Man HUD graphics then the easiest thing might be to DL the project tutorials and use those elements. FxHome smartly implemented them as primitives that still need to be layered up into a full thing.

I still submit that the easiest thing is Universe, This pre-supposes Pro or something that can use plug-ins like Vegas Movie Studio.

Universe is an annual subscription but they do have a 1 month subscription for $20. With a one month subscription you could go crazy creating elements and primitives and save to disk, dozens of items as PNG or a short video clip. All you have to do is select different elements and drag a few sliders around to make new HUD items of each unique element/primitive. Not bad for a small one time cost IMO.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

@NormanPCN agreed Red Giant is a helluva tool. And for photo editors/graphics programs Affinity, Gimp, Krita, all great choices, but Hitfilm can easily do a wider range of elements than those tutorials show. Never count out Radio Waves, for instance. Or the Grid filter.