Upgraded to 2017 but still can't use variable frame rate footage

DreaHart
DreaHart Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*

I recently upgraded to HitFilm Express 2017 (5.0.6614.39737) in Windows 10. I was excited to hear variable rate footage taken on my phone would now be usable in HitFilm but I have yet to get it to work. The clip audio is out of sync within a minute.

The template I am using is 1080p Full HD @ 29.97 fps. When I pull in the clip the properties say the frame rate 29.97 and "From File" is checked.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks for your time!

Comments

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,195 Staff

@DreaHart could you send us your footage please? Either here or contacting support if you do not wish to share it on here.

• DreaHart

Apologies for the delay. I was creating a test file and I think I stumbled into a possible answer. I am not able to test more this minute but I will be able to try more on Friday.

If I open Hitfilm, import one variable rate clip and export it the resulting file seems fine.

If I close Hitfilm, reopen it, import another variable rate clip and export it the resulting file also seems fine.

If I leave Hitfilm open after importing/exporting the first clip and import a second clip (or import multiple clips all at once) the audio drifts all over the place. It seems like it is using the first clip it encounters in that session to determine how to sync all the others.

I will try a few other combinations and post back what I find.

Thank you again for your time!

• CedricBonnier

@DreaHart Where do you hear the audio drift? Is it when you play the video in the Trimmer panel, in the Viewer panel or after exporting the video?

• DreaHart

@CedricBonnier When I see the issue it is in the trimmer, the viewer and in the exported file. In my attempts to replicate the issue I am finding that any new files I record on my phone are being synced up just fine. This leads me to believe there is something up with the files themselves. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and there has been an update in the last week. The files I'm having issues with were recorded prior to that.

Handbrake has managed to sync these files up so that project is done and in the can. I'm not seeing any issues with the new files going forward but I will keep an eye out for anything else that pops up.

I'm sorry I took up your time on this. Thanks!

• CedricBonnier

@DreaHart could you please send us one of your problematic files so that we can have a look here?

This discussion has been closed.