Duplicating comps without a connection

PhilNolanPhilNolan Website User Posts: 70

Lots of times I'll make a comp just to add a short subtitle to a video, then realize later that I need to do it again so I just duplicate the first one to make it easy and change the text. But then I go back and see that the text has changed in both of them. Is there some way I can duplicate a composite shot and keep it separate from the original?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Yes. You have to duplicate the Text Composite in the Media Pool. This creates a true copy. Make your life sane, rename them as you go. 

Duplicating the layer creates an "instance." The difference is an "instance" is a "pointer" to an original file. Whereas copying in the media pool creates a copy of the "original file," so to speak. 

You will have to drag the new comp as a new layer. 

BTW, you can right-click and save a Composite Shot in the Media Pool and save to disk. You can load a Composite Shot into another project. 

• PhilNolanPhilNolan Website User Posts: 70
    edited June 2017

That's where I make my duplicates, in the Media panel.

Yeah I like saving to disk for some things, Like a series of YouTube videos, I made a comp for the end card and load it up for every "episode".

Edit: Oh wait  I think I might have made a duplicate, didn't change the name, then dragged the same one into the timeline. lol Good rule of thumb to change the name first.