Applying effects to bottom tracks

ScottReidScottReid Website User Posts: 130

For the time being I create game videos of Eve Online so often there are parts of the screen I need to blur out.

I use the witness protection to do this which is great but to simplify things I tried to create a separate composite that held this blur effect which I could then put on timeline above other composite shots/video.

This did not appear to work so either I set that composite up wrong or it simply doesn't work that way.

If someone could gently point out my flaw here I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Comments

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

I don't think it works that way because it needs to 'see' the layer to apply it to.

Are the things moving? If not, then you can apply a Grade Layer above everything, drop the Blur Effect on there, then add a Mask (or two) to restrict where it applies (or invert it).  Or, the Witness Protection might work on the Grade Layer too, because their draw order is different to 'normal ' layers.

• ScottReidScottReid Website User Posts: 130

Ok thanx for the reply.

At work atm but thinking I may not have used a grade layer.

Will look into it further once I get home.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

@ScottReid - Comps don't work like that in the editor, or even in other comps.  Say you have Comp A and Comp B.  In Comp B you place an effect like Witness Protection, then drop Comp B into Comp A on top of other layers.  The Witness Protection effect in Comp B only affects Comp B.  What you see in Comp A is the finished render of Comp B.  Comp A doesn't see Comp B as a collection of layers. It sees it as image data.  The main editor timeline sees comps in the same way.

If you want to make a reusable comp with Witness Protection added and placed and ready to apply to a clip, go ahead and make that comp, and export it from the Media tab.  Whenever you want to use it, import it, rename it so you know what clip it's processing, then open it and drop the desired clip into it underneath your effect(s).  Then drop that comp into your editor timeline.  Lather, rinse, and repeat for all other clips you wish to process.  There's still a little manual work involved, but it'll shave off a few minutes per processed clip, which will still add up over time.

• ScottReidScottReid Website User Posts: 130

Thank you

Very much appreciated @jsbarrett