How to install update ? Why dont you give informations ?

Wiggum15
Wiggum15 Posts: 38

Hi.

So i open Hitfilm Express 2017 and i get this message about "Version 5.0.6614 released on June 15, 2017, Download Now".

I Download it but it seems to be a "full" installer again and there is no information avaiable on HOW to update Hitfilm Express 2017 to the newest version.

I assume i just install the Update over my previous installation of Express 2017...but im not sure.

I have to ask, why not include this simple information on the download page ? It would be one sentence...

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,425 Enthusiast

If you install it over your original program, it will replace it, which is what you want.  It will either prompt you to uninstall the original one if it thinks it needs it, or it will do it itself, or it will just overwrite it.

I can't think of a single other program that does it differently.

• Wiggum15
    Wiggum15 Posts: 38
    edited June 2017

There are certainly programs that do it differently.

For example, programs that have issues if you just override them with a newer version.

Leftover files can lead ti issues.

Its just bad that Hitfilm cant include such a simple Sentence on the update download page.

So i still have to ask. Just override or uninstall and reinstall ?

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,425 Enthusiast

You can do either. It doesn't affect anything.

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,207 Staff

@Wiggum15 you can install the new version safely over the old one. If you are trying to install an older version (ie downgrading) you will have to manually uninstall the newer version before installing the old one.

Full versions like HitFilm 3, HitFilm 4, HitFilm 2017 etc, are seen as different programs and can be installed side by side so that you can use any of those.

This discussion has been closed.