Sony Vegas 13 ?

luxgud
luxgud Posts: 127 Just Starting Out*

Doesn't Sony usually release a version about now ? There was rumours of a Mac version floating around, I wonder if this is what's changed their normal release cycle.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    Perhaps Sony has decided to hold Vegas 13 until it actually works?
    I have been a Vegas User since version 1, and the Vegas update cycle is used to be slightly slower--It took almost 12 years to get from v1 to v7, which is close to two years betwee. Versions.
    It's versions 8-12 where Sony updated Vegas every November, and that hasn't actually been good for the program, since these new releases have been buggy and unstable.
    I hope Vegas 13 is being held until it's properly debugged. I suspect Vegas 13 MIGHT be radically different from past versions, and/or might coincide with a MAC version.
    (If Sony had done a Mac version of Vegas years ago, like they should have, Final Cut X would have been very good for Sony.)
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    As a Vegas Pro 12 owner... i hope they improve this version... it needs to be a lot more stable.  It can handle editing just fine.. It cant handle mass plug ins or add ins like hitfilm.
  • Triem23
    Maybe I've been unreasonably lucky in my Vegas use, but I've yet to have an issue with Hitfilm integration, and, with the exception of the NewBlue Plug-ins, I don't have issues with plug-ins, either. Boris, Twixtor, Vegasaur, all the VASST stuff, etc, etc all work wonderfully (Ultimate S and Vegasaur being indispensable)
    Now, the NewBlue Plug-ins.... That stuff crashes all the time, but it has since Vegas 9. I blame NewBlue for that.
    No, wait, I lie--I did have one project this year where it's EDL file kept spontaneously corrupting, but that's never happened before or since, and that particular project required NewBlue FX (to maintain visual continuity with something else).
  • MichaelJames
    I've used HItfilm and sony vegas just fine... It was when the project was a 6 minute project and every clip had color grading and or effects from hitfilm which was when Sony started sputtering.  I only got back to a manageable level when I broke the project down into mini versions and deleted stuff out.
  • rgbii
    rgbii Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2013
    I've used Vegas for a good while, not the pro version.  Earlier this year I finally bought the pro 12.  For me, it's very unstable. After fighting with it for a good while, I only use it when I really need to and most of the time use studio 11.  When 13 comes out, not sure if I'll upgrade the pro version or not. Would hate to waste more money on it.
    I do plan to stick with vegas, I really like it, just can't handle the pro version crashing all the time.
  • Triem23
    Again, a bit surprised. Now, Vegas 11 was crashy crap (I did stay on 10), but 12 is good for me, and I do a lot of event work--two-hour, four-cam multicams with Boris on all cams to match and grade, using lower thirds (from Hitfim) with tons of transitions, and title slates and credit rolls (with some track motion PIP) all on a single timeline. Michael, I continue to be surprised at how many issues you have on 5 minute films.

On the other hand, most of the event work I am given to edit is still SD, DVCAM for DVD output. Still, I am not having major issues with HD sources, either: mostly Panasonic AVCHD or Canon MXF.
  • Flohre
    Flohre Posts: 21
    i agree with rgbii, i´m not sure whether i should upgrade to a Sony Vergas 13.
    My personal history - regarding the versions - stable, unstable, stable, unstable...Now, my Version 12 works "stable"...i bought this upgrade not because of the improvements, but simply to have a more stable version than the Version 11 was.
    (But..."stable" is a  bit overstated :-) you can work a bit longer)
    It reminds me of my story with protools, where, at the end i switched to Samplitude ProX.
    The switch from Sony Vegas to another Software would be a much more cost-intensive one.
    What are the options? Premiere?
  • Triem23
    If PC, you have Premiere and Avid. Mac, add Final Cut.
    Virtualdub is free, but I don't really know how it is. I used Virtualdub's track stabilization in my days before Boris and Hitfilm.
    Pinnacle.
    Um, it's going to annoy me I can't remember it's name, but the NewTek NLE is fantastic, I hear.
    Photoshop and Blender both have some NLE functions.
    Hitfilm's editor is functional, but still lacking. It IS a "full-featured" editor in that there's almost nothing any other NLE does that you can't do in Hitfilm, but it's slower and more difficult to do many editing tasks.
    I am literate in Vegas, Avid, Premiere and Final Cut X. Now, MichaelJames switched to Premiere for it's "greater stability," but there is some Premiere issue that has him on Vegas again.
    Choice of NLE comes down to a combination of personal choice and system stability. For me, well, I use Avid, Final Cut or Avid when required by work. Otherwise, I cut Vegas. I am four times faster in Vegas, largely because of how Vegas doea things differently.
    That said, most of what I do is live-event and wedding stuff, which is radically different from film.
  • luxgud
    I was considering jumping on the Vegas bandwagon as I now have disowned all Adobe products and I am looking for an alternatve to Premiere.
    I particularly like the way Vegas deals with audio especially it use of the Elastique timestretching. My issue with Vegas is the rather dull interface - I know it's not  a critical isssue but lets face it, it is uninspiring.
  • rgbii
    edited November 2013
    Well, I just downloaded and installed the latest update for Vegas Pro 12, hoping it would crash less.
    I guess I won't be using it for a while.  As soon as I start it, it crashes :(    This is with no project.
    Update: Went on the vegas forums and someone mentioned needing to reboot after install the latest build.  Seems to have helped, at least it starts now. Fingers crossed it crashes less :)
  • MichaelJames
    My issues with Adobe cs6 stem from them telling me my serial code has expired and multiple technicians trying to walk me through the same steps over and over. This product is registered to me but I'll routinely get asked for a receipt for a bill of sale, and upload it each time. I use to love Vegas, but that was before the hitfilm integration making me see my work on down to a crawl. That'swhy iI hope hitfilm add Xml export /import integration. If Sony corrected the issue I'd easily stay with them, I just want a NLE that if I was going to edit a 2 hour feature that used hitfilm in every scene that my fast computer could enjoy using their software no problem. I use Vegas pro 12 but I really avoid relying on it except for edits.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I have used Vegas since 2009 and just this past year (in May) switched after having far too many crashing issues. Vegas, to me, has simply been unreliable. I had crashing problems with all the versions I ever had newer than Vegas 9. So after rebuilding my computer (and then getting a videography job for the summer) I knew I needed something more reliable. I ended up with Adobe and will never look back. I personally am a big fan of the subscription system, and although I really liked my time with Vegas, Premiere is much more stable and powerful.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2013
    I'm surprised by this thread. I've been using vegas since the beginning as well and I have no problems at all with it. Version 11 had the most "issues" for me in that camera stabilization tended to crash my software a lot, but version 12 has been great. I never get crashes while rendering. I only get a crash every once in a long while and thats still related to camera stabilization. Though, I dont use many third party plug-ins and the ones I do use are Red Giant who make great products. I'm shocked to hear how many people have problems with vegas. I always thought their strong suits were being stable and accepting tons of different file types. I wonder if its a hardware issue, in terms of vegas not working well with certain types of hard-drives, cpu's or video cards?  
  • MichaelJames
    I like that Vegas can accept and spit out a million different file types but ive read several books and articles which list vegas as a consumer product and not a prosumer product.  Not that it can't be used by prosumers... but I'd want sony vegas to handle a full movie... or even half of one.  I don't want it to offline media if you click away...you can disable that but then you can't link files with hitfilm.
  • Triem23
    Vegas offlining files when you click away can be darn useful if, say, one shifts to photoshop for a moment to update graphics. I suspect part of Vegas's "glitchiness" (where some users have almost no issues, and others have constant crashing) is a combination of driver issues, and reliance on OFX and Open CL. These formats are not as mature as others (Open GL is far superior to Open CL.)
    I question articles calling Vegas "consumer" Vegas went 64-bita year befo Avid, a year before Premiere and three years before Final Cut. Premiere claims, with CS6.5 to be the first Open CL NLE on Windows. Vegas 10 begs to differ. Vegas was the first NLE with Red native support.
    Often, looks to me like everyone else is playing catch-up.
  • MichaelJames
    64 bit may something they programmed for but it definitely cannot handle intensive workloads.  I have 32 gigs of fast ram for a reason.  I didn't ever want to feel slow again.  I remember having 2 gigs on a 32 bit system... It was terrible.  just like having a 28k modem.

http://techland.time.com/2013/10/17/the-best-video-editing-software-for-consumers/
  • I am not a Pro user but the Movie Studio versions..  I have Movie Studio 8 and recently upgraded to version 12, from a feature to feature comparison I personally see no difference between the two.   12 is 64bit, 8 is 32bit and 12 has a few more addons but other than that they are basically the same software.
    The Pro I would hope would be different but I have my doubts, I have never used the pro version so I don't know.
    Soundforge and Acid have not been updated in YEARS, bug fixes but no new features. Some file formats I have to convert before they will work in Soundforge, it is beginning to show it's age but personally I prefer it over Adobe's Audtion of the free Audacity software.  Though it's noise filters suck compared to most current audio editing software.
    I am wondering if Sony may be going to get out of software over the next few years as they don't seem to be to enthusiastic about their current lines.  Probably end up selling it to Adobe down the road, watch and see.
  • MichaelJames
    Lol would adobe buy Sony's crappy software?  No.
    Also, Sony has for years done its own things, even in the face of substantial losses.
  • Lol would adobe buy Sony's crappy software?  No.
    Also, Sony has for years done its own things, even in the face of substantial losses.

To be 100% leader in the market they would and to get their customer list.  Adobe purchased other companies and products just to mothball them so why wouldn't they buy Sony's software ownership?

• I am so not proAdobe but on point if given the opportunity I have no doubt they would.

• MichaelJames

There is no such thing as a 100% market leader any more... that's called a monopoly.  Adobe doesn't need to buy the competitors... They've made enough serviceable products that buying the #6 consumer editor doesn't make much sense.  If you have money to blow you buy tons of companies and either shelve them or cut out pieces of the software for your software.  I may not be an adobe fan but I wouldn't want them to use any part of the vegas brand or software... it just looks too buggy.
    Also, sony has the money to buy adobe. :)  So if you can't succeed... you buy your success.

• luxgud
  • Har
    Har Posts: 401 Enthusiast
    Something's happening ...
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/

Interesting. I was looking through the details for the Studio 13 Platinum (which would be the upgrade from my current 12 Plat)....and honestly didn't see a single thing that made me feel like it was worth my getting it at this point as far as my own workflow is concerned. Guess I'll be sticking with 12 for a while longer. 

• rgbii
    I don't remember the "Simple and Advanced" edit modes. Since the "Movie Studio 13" doesn't support advanced mode, it seems they are dumbing it down.
    Is the support for "Touch PCs" new?  Maybe studio 13 is mostly just an update for windows 8.

Agree with Har, I don't really see anything worth the upgrade (Currently using studio 11 and Pro 12).
    Richard.
  • luxgud
    I guess they are limited in what they can add at this price point. Any interface improvement is welcome. The Easy/Advanced mode is to compete with Adobe Premiere Elements. I personally find that option irritating and un-necessary.
    I was pointing this development out as I imagined it was a prelude to some new release of Sony Vegas. I don't know if there is a relationship between their release cycles ?
  • MichaelJames
    So they dropped the vegas part which was probably to move away from the terrible name brand they've earned.  before I look at the differences... since this is just the consumer line I would highly doubt that the fixed the problems plaguing Sony Vegas.  It cannot hold up to intensive use.  Light hitfilm integration use is fine but ive yet to see vegas hold stand up under pressure.  A over clocked i7 3770k, a GTX 780 SC, 32 gigs of ram and a ssd should allow for some very intensive projects.  If you look up recommendations for problems with Sony Vegas it will usually say turn down ram preview, disable GPU acceleration and all these other things to fix things.
    I see they are touting touch edits but that was always a no brainer.  They aren't making the buttons bigger, just saying you can use touch.
    Looking at the comparison between movie studio 13 and vegas pro 12... they are watering down their pro line.  The pro line has video scopes, professional lighting, and more native format support.
  • MichaelJames
    Here was something that a reviewer posted on Amazon.
    "Here are a few issues with v 12 I've read about on the forums. For more information do a Google search.
    - User with a powerful graphics card has issues with v 12. It has something to do with the card sucking so much from the power supply.
    - Graphics card drivers - some needed to update the driver, and one user needed to roll back to an older driver (if I recall correctly; that's odd).
    - User had to turn off GPU acceleration.
    - User had to uninstall old versions of Vegas Pro (very unusual as normally you can run multiple versions).
    - User had to get a different sound card.
    From my quick read of various issues, it seems that incompatibility issues often arise from the graphics card. Even people with very powerful CPUs and high-end graphics cards can have compatibility issues with v 12"
  • Har
    Har Posts: 401 Enthusiast
    Interesting. As mentioned before, I've had no problems with v12 holding up well on my system at all, including working with projects of 15+ minutes or more, and my system is actually of lower power than yours (3770 at standard clock, GTX 570 and 16GB of RAM). And for me it's held up like a champ at everything I've thrown at it - though admittedly I've yet to have even tried the Hitfilm integration.
    But then again, I'm using v12 Studio Plat, not v12 Pro - not sure if that's a factor or not. 
  • mark_e
    mark_e Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    been using 12 pro for a while now been rock solid with the latest couple of builds, was some issues with earlier builds for sure, some quirks with some formats/plugins/gpu aceleration combinations but no different to any other software of this type I've tried, can't remember the last time it crashed on me, it's grown on me can do everything so quickly now. I just treat the hit film integration as a frame server for hitfilm and it works fine then you can render out from hitfilm with all the options available in vegas with out an intermediary.  Will be interesting to see if they release a version 13 of the pro version.
    I have been using Vegas before The Foundry sold it to Sony.  I use version 12 and it's good, but it could be better.  It's stable, but sometimes things do happen with many tracks and lots of effects, keys, chroma, etc.
    I JUST bought a Mac Book Pro (being a PC guy, I was never a Mac lover, even though I did own a few Macs here and there) and LOVE IT!  It is one of the best laptops I have ever owned.
    I bought Final Cut Pro X and am totally smitten!  It works so darn well.  It has features Vegas Pro only wished it had.  I will be purchasing Motion and Compressor to round it out.
    Hitfilm for Mac is also AWESOME!
    Mike