Action Essentials On White Background

Hi,
I'm working on a project which is asdf movie 7 in real life! In asdf movie, the background is white, so I use a green screen and I remove the green. But the I go to add a Action Essentials 2 'Blood Burst' effect for instance. I change the blend mode to add and I can't see it at all. I tried it with the blend mode as screen and it also doesn't work. Please someone help me? :wacko: 
Thanks
Ollie  :D 

Comments

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 1,669 Enthusiast
    The Screen and Add blend modes both can only increase and not decrease the overall brightness of a pixel, either by inverse multiplying of adding the values of the pixels together. A pixel can't get any brighter than white, so with a white background you won't see any difference at all. What you want to try is the multiply blend mode, which works basically the same way as the screen blend mode but in the other direction - it is made to work with white backgrounds, but won't work on black.
  • Hi, first of all, thank you Robin, you always seem to reply to me for help, and I am very grateful. Anyway, I think I explained wrong. The 'Blood Burst' from Action Essentials has a black background, but I have a white plane underneath meaning when I use blend or add, it takes the black out of the 'Blood Burst' layer, but you can't see it on top of the white plane. Don't suppose you could come to the rescue again please. 
    Cheers :D 
  • Robin
    Oh, I was assuming the blood was also on white background  :D In that case, instead of using a blend mode (or maybe in addition to  the multiply blend mode), I would try the luminance key effect on the blood to get rid of the black background first. This should do the trick.
  • Thank you very much Robin :D
  • Robin
    No problem, glad to help! I trust you'll notify us when the video is finished?  ;)