Wii U the system you should own but probably don't.

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
So with all the hype around the X Box One and the PS4 beling released in this last week, I felt that it would be important to mention the one system you should probably own but don't. 
Now if you are a spec loving hype beast you've probably joined in the crowd that discounts Nintendo's latest efforts because its  not on par with the PS4 of Xbox One.  Nintendo has never been the console maker to pump out the most top spec'ed system.  What they do focus on is making fun systems that you remember long after the console is out to pasture.
People have been calling doom for Nintendo since the 90's for the exact same reasons.  They release a system that's not on the same spec level as the overly hyped competition looms ever closer.   Since Nintendo has being doing gaming and entertainment longer then any of their current competition they are the old man in the fight.  Everyone is counting them out. 
(follow the tangent) If specs really mattered in anything you would own a PC, you'd have the latest and greatest Android phone, you'd have a fast car or a large car, you'd have the best camera and the ps3 would of been the console that crushed everyone.  The reason many everyone doesn't have all of that stuff that was just mentioned is because theirs so much that goes in to making things good and likeable.  When someone owns a mac and aren't citing 10+ year old reasons as to why macs are better... its usually because while it may cost twice as much compared to a pc... they like the style or look or how the OS handles or use to be the defacto standard for film and music.  The reason people are still buying the iPhone 5s when a comparable top tier android phone is a spec beast is because some people prefer the experience apple offers.  You don't have the fastest or largest car because while it is nice... its not always practical or cost effective.  We would all love to own a red epic dragon package but surprisingly people still make quality films without using a red.  The ps3 was actually crushed most of its console life because while they had the specs... they didn't have the games... the 360 had some of the games and the network but was still crushed.  The wii had the experience that just could not be beat...
So consider making Nintendo's Wii U something you give a go of.  They offer an experience that others are still trying to copy. The gamepad can add depth and complexity to a game that really sparks some renewed interest in gaming.  Opt out of the same game with no different experience that you get on a pc or other consoles.  Anyone whose played the Wii U longer then 2 minutes does not have a problem with the Gamepad.  It adds something new, while maintain the same basic controls for all those people who fear change.  You can use old wii accessories and new wii u accessories.  Most games will let you play with the gamepad, wii motes+ nunchucks, or the pro controller.
The Wii U will net you classic Nintendo titles, which are always fun and new innovative titles in HD. 
There are reports that the Wii U is about as powerful as current generations... that's false.  Besides being able to output 2 different screens at 60fps on 2 screens... it uses a GPGPU which is new to a lot of game makers so that's been completely underutilized.  So they port games over like Assassins creed and it looks slightly better then the ps3 version so people say the Wii U is only slightly better.
If you live in the UK... there are some crazy good deal bundles that retailers are offering.

Comments

• I get your point. But as a video editor I already have a good pc and play most of my games on that.
    I agree that nintendo do make good consoles which focus on fun. But I picked up a wii reasonably cheap after the original hype and I manly use that when i have a few friends coming over.
    As for your analogizes to do with phones and cameras I disagree. Personally I don't fell i need a good phone as I would never use it as I only ever seem to leave my hidy hole for filming and any 100% nececery tasks. As for cameras I don't personally have 10 grand to drop on a camera and don't think that borrowing money from the bank is a good idea in my situation.
    However if I didn't have a good pc or a wii I would probably consider picking a wii U up.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2013
    You argued this same point in the Deus Ex thread, and this isn't any more convincing than that was...  I grew up with Nintendo, and I think they're an amazing company, but the Wii U doesn't interest me at all.  None of the new consoles do, though, so I guess there's that.  I am not the target audience for this thing.  But then again, is anyone?
  • MichaelJames
    @jobodhobo it is important to be able to come out of your hidy hole(wasn't saddam found in his?) once in a while without it being necessary.  When i broke my life routine and got into more stuff it enhanced everything i did.  I can say im one of the most in shape indie directors I know because everyone else gets lost in their pursuits and don't come out of their hidy holes for unrelated stuff.  I learned to obsess less over every micro detail and thats started speeding up my ability to work.  Not that it means i don't care about the quality of my work... but if you've ever spent more then 3 minutes color grading more then 1 scene then your already twice as long as professionals.  Even distractions like gaming is inspiring and helps.  I have a great PC but there are certain games which work better on a controller(which can be adapted to a pc) and even more games surprisingly that work better on a wii remote or gamepad.  As an old school quake 3 fan who use to be able to rail gun or rocket someone from across screen while being flung in the opposite direction... you can't beat the percision and quick ability of a wii remote.  I saw a video review of Call of Duty ghost for the wii u and the reviewer was saying if you can push past the first 5 minutes of ackwardness when it comes to using a wii mote for an FPS you will find out that its a more intuitive design.  Getting a Wii should not be what hinders you from getting a wii u.  Its not the same thing.
    @Aculag I can't convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced... but the fact that you read a Nintendo thread means deep down you want to believe again ;).  Video game consoles target audience is everyone now.  Thats why Microsoft didn't drop the Kinect intergration.  They are going for people who are even just more casual game players.  There are cool features burried into the kinect that will eventually tip me into buying one.  There is so much in any of the consoles that you could easily find SOMETHING if you looked.  Maybe you are the FPS fan... maybe you want something thats a bit more relaxed and casual so you go with Super Mario.  Maybe you want something that requires skill so you go for a fighting game.. Maybe you don't want to really fight anyone and you just want to explore... well there are games that can quench your thirst.    If you said you just wanted to get in shape and get active there are even actually good games for that.  As someone who owned all 3 of the last generation consoles I'd easily buy fitness games for the kinect.   There was way more feedback on what you are doing without having to awkwardly hold anything. Video games are so mainstream and have something for everyone that when someone says there is nothing that interests them I know they are just trying to avoid looking into them.  Brain Age, puzzle games... soduku.. learning langauges.... If none of that interests you... then what in life does?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    edited November 2013
    None of the things you list require a console, though, MichaelJames.  Actually playing sports is more fun than pretending to play sports in a game.  Actually exploring is more fun that pretending to explore in a game.  Actually shooting guns or bows is more fun that pretending to in a game.  I've had a few consoles, (still have a 360 that never gets used), and played most of the ones I've not owned, but I have no interest in getting a new one.  I also have a decent computer, and have no interest in playing games on it.  And its not that I'm opposed to video games, or that I can't have fun playing them occasionally.  Its just that for me, there are much more enjoyable ways to spend my time than on a console.
    Also, as a side point, the name Wii still bugs the heck out of me.  Its really, really stupid.  Look at it, say it five times, and try to disagree with me.
  • MichaelJames
    @Axel the thing people always missed in some games was that simulations aren't really what people who play video games are going for.  Guitar Hero was a huge success and high ups in what became rock band and guitar hero thought man these kids really want to play guitar... so they started making it as realistic as possible with endless incarnations... and then people fell out of love with it.  As a active guy i love actually doing things... but the Wii got me interested in playing video games for sports that i never liked period... not the games... not playing.  Golf... Tennis... Baseball...  Way more interesting thanks to the wii.  As someone who stays active i balance my time between crazy amounts of working out and staying active.. film classes... work and family... and still just being able to enjoy some old school mario. 
    Lol the name took a while to catch on for me.  I was use to the code names that sounded WAY better.  Now the wii is common place...  Its better then endless sequel names.  Playstation 16 will be my favorite.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    For me, I'm not really engaged with any of the new consoles. Everything's on hold for me until SteamOS and the Steam controller are available and have had some reviews. If they work really well, then I'll probably never buy a console from Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo ever again. If Valve have messed up, then maybe I'll take a look at the PS4 once it comes down a lot in price. Even as a kid, though, I never really enjoyed Nintendo games - not sure why, they just never clicked.
  • MichaelJames
    @simon my problem with all these little systems that are coming out... Like steam... The ouya and project n shield is they are try to homogenize systems more then even Sony or Microsoft. A lot of hand held Android games are fun but no replacement for a full fledge game. So the idea of Android games on my TV is not appealing, just like computer games streamed to my hand held is not appealing. Some games work best on big screens... Others work best on a smaller screen and others work best on a 3-5 inch screen. I sold my psp a long time ago because while the hardware was great.... The games were the appealing. They were all games I'd rather play on a big screen. A new competitor or a revitalized one would be welcome in the console market I think. Plus size with Steve Balmer set to step down one of his potential replacements wants to sell off the game division. It's a heavy investment that isn't also how Microsoft makes most of its real money. Though to be fair it's revitalized Microsoft and made them cool again.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2013
    You really need to stop clumping Steam Machines with Ouya and Shield.  Those are three fundamentally different devices that serve completely separate purposes.
    A new competitor or a revitalized one would be welcome in the console market I think.
    So then what is your problem with Steam Machines, exactly?  I think Valve could easily be a competitor for Microsoft and Sony if they play their cards right.  I'm confused.
  • MichaelJames
    The reason Steam is being clumped with other game systems which were designed to change console gaming is just that reason.  Its another console designed to challenge the big 3.  The reason why I don't think it will be successful is for the same reason Valve thinks it will be.  There is no specific configuration of hardware but just minimum specs and it will allow users to use stock hardware from stores or mod things themselves.  As a computer gamer that sounds great... but as a computer gamer is that going to pull me away from just using my computer?  No.  Read the beta specs.  While there is variation they pretty much read about the same... and very much like a computer anyone could build or upgrade.  Anyone with a serious PC gamers are not impressed by what could be an just good to eh pc and maybe a top tier GPU running on a Linux based OS.  The reason why console makers do not do incremental upgrades to their hardware in ways that impact the quality of their games is because they want everyone to have the same experience.  So if we both get PS4s and hook them up to similar HDTVs with high speed internet we will both have amazing visuals and rave about the game.  A steam machine reminds me of PC gaming...  If you have the money for the best stuff you will have the best time and also be playing with people who have lower tiered systems that get bogged down easily.  Playing StarCraft 2 on my old PC left me on the lowest settings to get decent gameplay in multiplayer.  With my newly built PC I just enjoy everything on Ultra.
    So I don't have a problem with Steam Machine... I just don't think it will be successful.  Valve appeals a lot to PC gamers... just looking at their Wikipedia page its hard not to see why.  As someone who has never cared about Half-Life I see 2 games on there that I enjoyed but also got mad at the company over and that's the left for dead series.  So as someone who still enjoys console games... Valve making a game console to me is like Sony making hand held systems... Its just throwing stuff at the wall that people should in theory be interested in but is fundamentally flawed in concept that they operate with. 
    Imagine they put out a Steam box that's just as good as your pc... whats the incentive to get you to pay $500?  Features that sound great but that you already have on you computer?  Games that will also be on PC?  A controller that looks cool but is very different?  People were afraid on Nintendo's Wii mote + nunchuck when it still provides the same basic functionality as a normal controller for regular games.
    I would think Nvidia has a better shot at competing with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo then valve.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Steam boxes will vary in spec, sure. That could over-complicate things and cause them problems. It could also open up some intriguing possibilities. It makes Steam boxes potentially appealing to hardcore gamers as well as casuals.
    Imagine a $100 Steam box you can buy at Walmart (or whatever your standard generic shop is), sold as having 3000 launch titles that'll stream simply from the PC you already have in your office. Then you could have a PS4/XboxOne-priced box that has 200+ native launch titles plus 3000+ if you happen to have a PC too.
    Then you've got people building their own Steam boxes. Full customisation of machines, controllers and OS. I know Apple and Sony and Microsoft have made people afraid of customisation, but it's really not something to be afraid of - the popularity of Android and Raspberry Pi indicate there's a significant bunch of people who want to actually tinker with stuff.
    The key, really, is that SteamOS is free. That means people will try it and dabble with it. That then means that if it is good, it will start to pick up steam (hah), and over a long time period will gain traction.
    If you're looking for something to shake up the gaming arena (not just consoles, but the whole shebang), then SteamOS/machines/controller is it. Ouya was never going to be a contender, and Shield is something else entirely.
  • MichaelJames
    edited November 2013
    I doubt steam box/machine will be 100 dollars because you can barely get a 2ds on sale for that price.
    All that customization sounds fantastic but in practice Im betting its going to run into the same problems that Android had for phones.  It will be all over the place.  It was only starting last year where android phones actually started being a real contender to an iPhone.  There were so many different specced phones floating out there with each OEM having their own policies on updates that there were many bad phones that people were stuck with for a long time.
    I don't see steam box as in reality shaking up anything because at the end of the day the general consumer(where the money is) wants to buy something and buy games and have it work flawlessly every time.  When you can't deliver on that across the board you lose that mass appeal or never have it. 
    I can play any ps3, 360 or wii u game with you and we will both have a consistent experience.  The off putting thing for many people who tried to get into PC gaming is that a lot of games will play on lower specced machines but its pretty much not worth it.
    The Crysis series is an example of why having varied machines out there is not a good idea.  Theres the guy kicking him self for a series which may struggle on his system, while another guy with 2 titans will be owning everyone.
  • Darren
    Darren Posts: 164
    For me, the biggest problem with Nintendo is the lack of advertising.  I can't remember the last commercial I saw for Nintendo.  I can't even name you a game on Nintendo that can't be found on XBox and PS.
    I don't watch much TV, but you can find the XBox and PS commercials on Youtube and Gaming sites.  And that advertising works.  If I were to walk into GameStop, Walmart etc, I walk past Nintendo as if they never existed.
  • MichaelJames
    Lol well Nintendo exists in the heart of Sonys president. He keeps giving Nintendo free plugs. On record he'ssaid the gaming in dustry needs Nintendo and he owns a wii u. If Nintendo had the balls... They would use that in their ads. The president of Sony owns a wii u, so maybe you should too.
  • MichaelJames
    So apparently Nintendo and Southwest Airlines kicked off a new partnership today by surprising a flight full of people by giving them each a Nintendo Wii U.  They will be setting up Nintendo stations in 22 of the most busy southwest terminals to demo off games and products for the next month or so.
    Nintendo you sly fox.  Finding a way to get in front of a large assortment of people with higher levels of disposable income during the busy travel season.  Not only are you in front of a large assortment of people... they are typically trapped and bored out of their mind.  When I flew across country and back at the beginning of this month I spent so many hours in the hour just waiting in the terminals. Salvation... thy name is Wii U... thy shepherd's name is Mario... they shepherd has a brother... his name is Luigi.
  • Klut
    Klut Posts: 6
    edited November 2013
    This thread represents the Wii U in a nutshell. People are either defending the Wii U or attacking it. Nobody is praising it.
    The reason I bought a Wii U is simply because I know I will love Mario Kart 8 and the next Super Smash bros. title. I know I will love them because the few times my childhood friends and I actually get to meet, we play these games. It's nostalgic and it's fun. Playing these games in HD is going to be glorious, I'm sure. I could have waited for them to be released before buying the system, but when the limited edition Zelda version came out I couldn't control myself. I had to get one.
    Yet, I don't really know how I feel about the Wii U. I played some Zelda and some Earthbound, neither of which are Wii U games. I have Nintendo Land which I hope to finally play with 4 friends this weekend.  I have no intentions in buying the other two consoles, though I said that last generation as well and ended up getting all of them. Things have changed since then though. I fell in love with PC-gaming.
  • MichaelJames
    Lol its funny to hear someone say child hood memories when talking about those games.  I am 28 and so at 16 SSBM came out and then at 23 SSMB came out.  I guess that's what happens you start getting old.  Things don't really seem like it was that far away.
    My childhood was filled with SuperSoakers, Slip n slides, moon shoes and Game Boy.
    The Wii U is like every Nintendo product, except the Virtual Boy... a lot of fun and something you should straight up play.  I remember trying to get my Dad to play Super Mario World on the SNES.  He ran into the first Goomba, died and was blaming the controller and us for yelling at him trying to stop.  He never played again... I feel like that's a lot of people who don't get the controls they like or are use to.  There are 2 genres of games which Nintendo has not done or not done well... a FPS and music simulation games.  Every other genre people will forever compare to a Nintendo product or a product that was originally on Nintendo
  • Klut
    Klut Posts: 6
    I never said childhood memories.
  • MichaelJames
    edited November 2013
    I'm sorry, you said childhood friends.:)  My bad.