Audio Sync: Moving audio files in milliseconds instead of frame steps

Hello guys,

First of all, hitfilm is great peace of software, with so many posibilities, that I can do everything I wan't as a beginner in video editing.

But perhaps I didn't found the way to do it right, how can I move audiofiles in steps smaller than a frame? I tried to sync stockaudio to my footage, but it resulted in a visable delay. In case of an explosion I could cut of all leading empty space. But how do I sync, lets say a music file, where a specified snare hit needs to be synced at a specified mark in the video? At 25fps a framestep is 40ms wide, so the result will end in a max 20ms delay (placing the soundfile on frame ahead or after the event). I once tried to sync an externaly edited soundfile (voicerecording) to the speaker in my footage. But I had always the feeling, that it was slightly out of sync. 

So is there a way to sync audio more precise, or am I, as a musician who works also with daw-software, only a little all too nitpicking? ;-)

Greetings

Alex

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

You can't do what you want.

One possible workaround might  be to add 'n' ms of silence to the start of the file in something like Audacity to slide the sound over to where you want it. Not ideal, prone to error and more work though.

• AlexBoris
    AlexBoris Posts: 17

Ok, thank you very much for your answer and thank you for this workaround. That's what I wanted to prevent. :-)

But how does the new sync feature handle this issue. When I add external recorded audio, does it sync at the exact ms? And what if I want to sync  multiple audiofiles (one from my lav-mic into a fieldrecorder, one from my shotgun via digital audio interface into my laptop) to one video?

As far as I have seen, the new audio replaces the old in the video. 

Perhaps I do all my video editing in Hitfilm and do the audio sync in another video editor. 

Best regards

Alex 

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

Sorry I haven't tried out the audio sync so can't answer that.

Here's one of @Triem23 's videos on audio which does:

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador

The audio synch feature is probably just comparing the two waveforms then aligning one to the other and writing in a new audio track. 

As Palacono says, Hitfilm can only directly move clips on frame boundaries. But, there's a limited workaround that can give you more edit resolution at the cost of a couple of extra steps. 

For sake of discussion I'll assume your footage is 30fps.

Create a 30fps project and import footage. 

Create 60 (or 90) fps Composite Shots for the stuff you need to adjust. Drag in your footage and audio. The higher frame rate gives you smaller millisecond steps between frames, so that might get you closer, or even dead on. 

Then you can take your 60/90 fps Composite Shot to your 30 fps Editor Timeline for trimming and export. 

I'm going to tag @DLKeur. I suggested this workflow to her for a project. I had the idea, but she's actually done it, so she might have more insight on how much more work this really adds. Hers was video of a live performance and editing comps at a higher frame rate did get everything synching correctly. 

If you really need to get sample-accurate that will require a dedicated DAW. 

• AlexBoris
    AlexBoris Posts: 17

Thank you for your answer. I think this will help a lot. And then adding 4ms silence in front of the audio reduces the error to about 4ms. That sounds acceptable. :-)

Best regards

Alex