My video card does not have enough memory?

HowHaveYouBenHowHaveYouBen Website User Posts: 12

Apparently, my memory card cannot support the default settings in HitFilm Express 2017? HF4 worked fine, although before I upgraded, it ran very, very slowly for some reason (as in it would take over 3-4 minutes to create a blank, default composite shot).

I looked under the minimum specs for the program (HitFilm Express 2017) to run and I checked out. Whenever I open the program and click "Start compositing/editing" I get "Your video card does not have enough memory to support the current settings." I then get a list of things I need to do to ensure I get peak performance. It would mean I substantially lower pretty much all settings.

Where am I going wrong? My video card is fine. And this never even occurred on the previous edition of HF so I'm kind of lost at this point.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

HF4E only supported 1080p, which didn't need (as) much video RAM.

HFE2017 goes up to 4k, so needs more RAM. What size project are you trying to create?

Also the usual questions: What's your CPU, GPU, RAM, OS, etc.

• HowHaveYouBenHowHaveYouBen Website User Posts: 12

I'm attempting to run 1080p but even at 720 it still didn't/doesn't work.

CPU: Intel i3 2.4 GHz

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (I think that's what the GPU is? Graphics is nearly 2GB btw)

RAM: 6GB 

I am currently running Windows 10 (64-bit)

I hope this is what you were looking for! Thanks for the response! 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador
    edited May 2017

If you have an integrated GPU your machine isn't particularly powerful. If you have an Intel HD 4000 you have NO dedicated VRAM. If you have an Intel Iris you have 1.5GB VRAM. 

Hitfilm 2017 requires 2GB VRAM, and a pretty fast GPU for 4K.

Hitfilm 2017 is a different program than Hitfilm 4, and has quite a few changes to the core engine that make the software more powerful, but have more overhead. 

Chances are your machine is only capable of 1080p in Hitfilm. 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@Triem23 he said he tried lower res and it's still not working. 

I don't intend to use 4K anytime soon. However, I would think at least 720p would work. But alas, it does not.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

You might have to go into your BIOS and increase the minimum RAM available to the GPU. Look for a graphics configuration entry like below.

The other thing is have you checked your overall memory usage? If your memory usage is too high you might not have enough free RAM left to allocate the minimum amount HitFilm needs to run to the GPU.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Aladdin raises good points. 6GB RAM is not much by current standards. What else might be running? Are you streaming a tutorial? Firefox can eat a gig of RAM. Your OS eats another 2 GB if it's Windows 10. Running some kind of always active Antivirus? Another gig. Leaving 2GB. Under the minimum for Hitfilm. 

• YeremyahYeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast

Does using "JetBoost" help at all?

What is "JetBoost"?

• YeremyahYeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast

Google "JetBoost" and read the first result.

This discussion has been closed.