Composite editing

PieroAnnoniPieroAnnoni Website User Posts: 16

How can I edit a composite shot while being able to see the media underneath  (on lower tracks)?

If I create a new composite shot I do not see the media I want to overlay the composite shot on, so I have to guess. 

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Let me see if I understand what you mean. You are placing media in the Editor Timeline then creating a Composite Shot to put on a track above in the Composite Shot? 

Why don't you make the original media the bottom layer of the Composite Shot to begin with? 

• PieroAnnoniPieroAnnoni Website User Posts: 16

Actually what I'm doing is placing a text over a series of images that I have added to a track.

I added the text creating a new composite shot because I would like to position it on defined areas of the underneath images. Also, the composite shot is made of various different text.

I tried what you are suggesting but it seem that I cannot create a composito shot selecting more images on the timeline. Also, I lose all the transition between images. Adding transition to layers in composite shot it looks more time spending then doin it on the track. I think  

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,293 Ambassador

Ah. Your composite bridges multiple layers on the Editor Timeline. 

Nope, you can't convert multiple Editor clips into a single Composite Shot. Annoying, that. 

I'd still create the Composite Shot using the underlying media first for reference of the area I want to see (if using the trimmer, quickly switching to the Editor Timeline and dropping the shots there, too), and not worry about transitions in the comp. Then delete/mute reference media in the Composite and do transitions on the Editor Timeline. 

• PieroAnnoniPieroAnnoni Website User Posts: 16

That is a good trick! great suggestion, wonder why I didn't think at it :)

Thank you!!!

This discussion has been closed.