Clever Tagline: Pie anyone? (Nov 2021)

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@jsbarrett That does look pretty neat.  I'll be watching for that tutorial for sure.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador

Wow...nothing since July?  Yikes!  I didn't realize it'd been that long, but I've been busy enough with work and family stuff that it's been tough finding the time to produce anything.  Part of that family stuff is a move clear to the other side of the DFW metroplex that has to be done by October 1.  There is another guest tutorial in the works, though, and I'm also aching to get new content out on my Clever Tagline channel.  It's coming!  I promise!

Anyway, that's not why I'm here.  I'm here with a question about using 3D models in HitFilm Pro.  I'm starting on a side project with one of my brothers, and one of the key models is a human skull. We purchased a scanned version, I brought it into HitFilm Pro, added three spotlights, and did a quick turntable test render:

My question is about shadows.  Is there a way to control the softness of the shadow edges on spotlights? If you pause, you can see that the shadow edges are REALLY sharp, even jagged. However, I can't find any controls – either on the model or on the spotlights – that affect shadow sharpness.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast
    edited September 2018

I can actually answer a question (maybe)

I never worked specifically with a rough edge like that with a spot light but a few tips in general:

- Set project Shadow Map to 4096
    - Push the (shadow) light in the far distance
    - Add a 3d point, parent a Directional light to point and use the 3D points Orientation to control direction 
    - Light - Shadow opacity and shadow diffusion and/or Model -> Materials -> Self shadow bias (if needed -  )
    - 3D model Properties-> Advanced -> Normals > Method -> Generated Faceted + Auto Smoothing -> Angle 1 to 80.

*In my experience distance of light is really dependent of the quality of the model. Some time Im up close...other times far away. Crap shoot.

**The Normals tweak mentioned above....the angle isn't set it stone. Also dependent on quality of model.

Edit: For super difficult shadows you can have a shadow model and then combine the two in another comp. If you have to wash out the shadows with bias and diffuse you can get them back by dropping Curves on the shadow pass and bring them back. Same goes for AO to. Mega control

• CleverTagline

Thanks for the tips, @GrayMotion . I'll check into that the next time I dig into that project.

Well, the move is done, but I have no idea where I packed the cable for my VO microphone. Thankfully I've got some more work to do on the visuals for the next piece before I need to record anything. Fingers crossed I'll find it soon.

On a personal note, I had a bit of a scary experience to start the week. I came home from a late evening job on Sunday and had some pain in both knees and my left elbow.  I thought it might've been simply due to being on my feet and moving a lot for a couple hours (though the left elbow element was odd because I'm right-handed, and didn't do anything strenuous with my left arm that night), so I just took some ibuprofen before going to bed, thinking it would be gone by morning. When I woke on Monday, it was worse, and continued to get worse throughout the day, with pain in my ankles added to the mix.  I had to back out of a job I was scheduled to work that night, and, not knowing how long the pain would last, also began searching for replacements for events I was slated to work in the coming days, possibly weeks.

By the end of the day almost any kind of leg movement caused severe pain. I had my wife record this video to document my best attempt at walking with a cane (that we'd thankfully found in our new home):

The only reason I wasn't wincing in agony is because I was being really careful not to bend any part of my legs. Even standing and balancing was painful, but it was mostly tolerable pain. The slightest bend or shift, though, felt like a knife was being stabbed into my joints.

Tuesday morning I woke, surprisingly, in much less pain, and it decreased throughout the day. By early evening, it was completely gone, with no lingering side effects (that I could tell), and I was able to help my wife move some furniture around our new place like none of Monday's insanity ever happened.  It was definitely the weirdest, the most painful, and one of the scariest experiences I've had.

So what caused it? My best guess is stress. With our move across the metroplex, a busy weekend of work, and financial struggles all coming together over just a few days, I think I was more stressed than I wanted to let on, so my body made it abundantly clear.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

Ugh. Hope everything recovers quickly, Justin. My recent annoyance is a nerve issue in my right arm... For the last three weeks the only sensations in my right arm (and shoulder and neck, and half my chest) is either the persistent feeling of "pins and needles," or shooting pain similar to a muscle pull.

Since I already have tendon damage in my right shoulder, left ankle, right ankle and thin cartilage in both knees, I'm really not happy with my one functioning limb going bad. :( Plus, I now have no way I can lay that isn't painful.

In your case, well, moves are stressful, and usually involve moving heavy things for long periods of time. if the Monday job was what I think it was, that also involves moving heavy things for long, contiguous, periods of time. I am not surprised you're in pain.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert

Oh man that really sucks. You're feeling better now right? :) 

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

Sound like early signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Get a blood test and diagnosis. Partner has it kept at bay by medication. Before diagnosis she was literally crippled in every joint. Now swims, cycles, etc. Came on very, very quickly. Occasional work related stresses/travel would cause a flare up with identical symptoms to yours. Rest helps. When really bad a shot of Steroid settles joints down again, but not been needed for a few years. Other medication takes months to find its level, so that's left well alone.  Best of luck.

• Triem23

@Palacono man I really hope you're wrong. I'd rather just have Justin sore from being a middle aged guy who overdid things one busy weekend than that! Still good advice  mind you  

• CleverTagline

@spydurhank Yup, all better. The joint pain completely left by Tuesday night, and hasn't returned.

@Triem23 I've had busy work stretches before, but they never caused anything like this.  The times I have felt some post-work pain, it's been in my muscles, not joints, and took longer to dissipate than this did. I'm more inclined to think it was my body's reaction to the overall physical and emotional stress of everything going on over the weekend, and not tied directly to work. That said, I'll definitely bring it up with a doctor the next time I can afford to see one (sadly I'm not insured, which is another reason why mysterious episodes like this freak me out).

• tddavis

@jsbarrett Dude, I was able to move better a few hours after a total knee 2 weeks ago.  Definitely need to keep an eye on that.  It seems awfully extreme to be only stress to me and a rather eclectic assortment of affected areas. Not to be an alarmist but a trip to your PCP seems wise.

• CleverTagline

Believe me, @tddavis, if I was insured and had a PCP, I'd have seen them by now. However, because I only do part-time/contract work at the moment, I'm not provided insurance, can't afford it on my own, and definitely can't afford to pay out of pocket for a visit. While this move puts us in a better financial position in the long run, we essentially went broke doing it, and have had to tap into our credit card to pay for stuff while waiting for the next check to arrive from one of my clients. Our precarious financial state has always been a stress point for me, and with the way this move hit us even harder in that area (plus other things), I'm not surprised that my body freaked out, though stress wasn't the first thing I thought of when looking for a reason why it happened.  I typically get muscle tension and headaches from stress. I've never had joint pain that attacks with a vengeance over 24 hours and then leaves without a trace.

• spydurhank

Oh man... old man pains, I'm gonna be 46 in a couple days so I'm glad I only get minor stuff every now and then.

Mostly my knees and ankles from skateboarding from when I was a kid. Only ever had one break in my right ankle when I was 16 but it doesn't bother me. My knees do hurt a little and make crackling sounds when I stand up after picking something up from the floor. I think that is just a lack of working out. I'll tell you what though... all the old man pains started going away when I just suddenly stopped drinking beer and booze about two or three years ago after two decades of very heavy drinking. I simply lost my taste for the stuff with no withdrawals. It was really easy for me though, I didn't even do anything. The need for that stuff just went away one day all by itself.

Still I'm very glad that you're doing and feeling good dude.       

• tddavis

@jsbarrett Oh, that sucks.  I understand your pain.  Hope it all goes well for you.

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 568 Enthusiast

@jsbarrett ;

Here is my prayer for you, no relapses.....ever! In which case you don't neeeeed no stinkin' insurance.

God bless.

• CleverTagline

I've been weighing this for a while, and finally decided to pull the trigger and change my username.

Old: jsbarrett

New: CleverTagline

Nothing new to show, though I'm scrambling to wrap up something that's been in the works for several months. Some related projects are on the heels of that one, so I still don't know when I'll get back to my own tutorial list. However, my YouTube subscriber count crossed over 500 a couple months back (up to 568 as I write this), despite the lack of new content in a while, so I guess it's still working.

• Triem23

Well, shoot, I just tagged you as "@jsbarrett" a minute ago. :P. I'll delete that from autocorrect and teach my phone @CleverTagline so I can be lazy and not have to retype @CleverTagline into my phone when I want to tag @CleverTagline

• CleverTagline

@Triem23 Sorry for the new-found confusion I've introduced. Autocorrect is a cool thing, but I've become a recent subscriber/fan/advocate/junkie of a tool that's like autocorrect on steroids: TextExpander. For example, I give it a short code word, like "hfftranscode" (minus the quotes), and it replaces it with a transcode recommendation, including the video URL.

• Triem23

*Googles "Text Expander Android"*

Ooooh... 

*Downloads: considers making "pcSpec" the code for "What is your CPU, GPU... etc" *

• CleverTagline

Haha! I've already got one tagged "hffspec" for that very purpose, plus a slightly more advanced one for asking which version of the software someone is using ("advanced" because it incorporates optional pieces for "Pro" and "Express," or I can leave those out if I know already). I'm using "hff" as my prefix for all HitFilm forum stuff (and just because the word "HitFilm" can be cumbersome on the fingers, I have "HF" as a shortcut for that)

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 983 Enthusiast
    edited November 2018

@CleverTagline

Good new name.

I opened this topic for the first time in months (and months) to find an unfinished message to you that I never posted. For old time's sake.....

no @jsbarrett...  your big challenge is living with the 'Guardians of the Gaelic Sea' pun 

• CleverTagline

"no @jsbarrett...  your big challenge is living with the 'Guardians of the Gaelic Sea' pun"

• CleverTagline

New tutorial excitement! :D Here's part one of a deep dive into making animated lines in HitFilm:

Props to @FilmSensei for sparking the idea for a couple of the tips shared in this series, the most complex of which is coming up in part two later this month.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

Very Nice! :)

Hope it's not a  'chat week' next week, as looking forward to Part 2 already!

• spydurhank
  • tddavis
    edited December 2018

@CleverTagline Great, out of the box ideas for Hitfilm effects there!  Who would ever have thought you could apply those that way? Oh, wait, you and @FilmSensei... :)  And a very slick and entertaining tutorial with the little aside graphics and whatnot.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

OOTB I liked the reflection effect used to make the diamond from the gradient.

• CleverTagline

Part 2 of the animated lines series is live, along with a new video on my own channel going deep into a rotoscoping technique.

https://youtu.be/5prnT9MkYoA

• CleverTagline
    edited December 2018

I put this into the description of my roto video, but I want to give a special shoutout here to @EricMatyas. One of his free music clips was the perfect piece to act as the "TV episode teaser" background music for the tutorial opener. A couple quick trims to shorten it, and it worked swimmingly! ;)

• Triem23

Love the double-Speed-effect trick! Again  very Clever.