Clever Tagline: Pie anyone? (Nov 2021)

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador
    edited May 2018

@Triem23 Not sure that I understand your comment re: "keep a version of the Clever Tagline logo."  You mean the old rack focus hack?  Frankly, I got tired of it a lot faster than I thought I would, along with the chalkboard treatment for the old series name.  The new Clever Tagline logo is what you see at the end.  Clever Tagline is still the channel name, HitFilm TipFilm is the show/series name. 

As for the shadow trick you mentioned, it won't work. The hitch with that Environment Layer feature is that you can only pick one layer, and it uses that target layer's contents pre-effects.  It's not actually seeing through the sphere, but duplicating the target layer's contents in all parts of the sphere where it was formerly black.  If I hide the map layer, you'll still see the map in the sphere, in all parts around the arrow.  I tried putting a grade layer right below the sphere, and then setting the sphere's Environment Layer to point to the grade, but it didn't work.  To do a shadow, I'd have to actually knock/key out the black using other techniques, which I believe @Palacono talked about in the original thread.

• CleverTagline

@Palacono You give me too much credit.  I didn't actually RTFM.  I just PAUIW (Played Around Until It Worked).  :)

As for the shadow, I thought about it, but frankly my goal isn't always to show the user how to produce a 100% finished piece. In some cases my goal is to simply showcase a specific trick, and in this case the trick was taking the straight arrow and curving it with the Sphere effect.  Part of my reason for focusing on tricks vs complete pieces is because I don't always have time to do more elaborate pieces, but another part is a conscious choice to keep these videos short and simple.  Does that lower the quality of what I'm producing? Maybe, but that's a choice I've made, and I'm likely going to stick with it for a while.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited May 2018

Oh, the quality is high enough alright, don't worry about that. :) I much prefer these to Javert's bait'n'switch tutorials where he only shows about half what he's crammed into the project file - if there is one to download - so following his tutorial alone could never get the results you see in the intro and outro.

So adjusting your tutorial content to fit the time you want to allocate to showing it all very clearly is the better approach by far.

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Posts: 593 Enthusiast

@jsbarrett

I agree with @Triem23 - I prefer the old clever tagline logo.

• CleverTagline

Playing around with an idea for a "liquid" lower third in HitFilm Express.  It started fairly simple, but then grew and improved as I kept playing.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@jsbarrett Now, that's pretty sweet right there!  Looks super professional.  Hope that's your next tutorial...hint, hint...

• CleverTagline

Another test.  The basic light meter look can be done in base Express as well (my initial test was done in Express 2017, I think), but this one is fully automatic based on the sound file, which requires certain features only available in Pro, or via add-on packs for Express v8+.

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Posts: 593 Enthusiast

nice.

I'm not entirely sure how you did that.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited June 2018

Great clone tutorial...which I guess you're going to tell us is up after I've posted this. :)

• CleverTagline

@PalaconoYou beat me to it. :) Glad you liked it! Here it is for those who (for some unknown reason) aren't subscribed to the HitFilm channel already.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

@jsbarrett Great tutorial! I downloaded the project files and I am perusing through them to come up with new ideas. Thanks!

• CleverTagline

@FilmSensei Thanks Jay! Glad you liked it!

Here's the Instagram promo clip I made, which has a truckload of clone stuff in it.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert
  • BobDiMarzio
    BobDiMarzio Posts: 630 Just Starting Out
  • GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast
    edited June 2018
  • tddavis
    edited June 2018

@jsbarrett Very handy and useful tut (dad-blamed autocorrect!! ) as always.  Wish I was more talented to think up new ways of applying things like this...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

Damn, dude, amazing use of the clone effect. I don't think you've had a tutorial yet where I wondered why that use of tool >X< never occurred to me. 

• CleverTagline

@tddavis (re: the liquid lower third)

"Hope that's your next tutorial...hint, hint..."

So let it be written, so let it be done!  (Translation: starting work on the script now!)

• tddavis

@jsbarrett Thanking you in advance. :)

• Triem23

@jsbarrett well... I think I know how you did that liquid lower third, but I look forward to the tutorial. Usually my guesses are wrong on your stuff. I love being wrong on guessing techniques, because that's when I learn new things. 

• CleverTagline

Just finished the script, and a couple things occurred to me:

1. The one-year anniversary of my first video going live on the Clever Tagline channel is just three days away.
    2. The channel is just 27 subscribers away from 500.

Can I get this liquid lower third tutorial produced in time for the one-year anniversary on Tuesday?  Maybe, but it's gonna be dicey.

Will the channel hit 500 subscribers by Tuesday?  Also kinda dicey, but if so, that would be 100 subscribers in the last month (it reached 400 on May 19th).

So.  Much.  Drama!

• Triem23

I missed my one year... 

Dunno... You have a fresh guest tutorial and most of mine got me roughly 100 subscriber bumps. 

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert
  • CleverTagline

Well, the whole anniversary-release thing clearly didn't happen as I thought it would.  Haven't made a lick of progress on the tutorial. Partly due to work, partly due to (oddly enough) lack of motivation. Things just aren't clicking right now.  When they do, it'll get done.

• CleverTagline

Several months back I was invited to chat with Jamie from @Film_Empire for his podcast series. The episode went live yesterday.

• CleverTagline

Found what appears to be a bug in one of the effects I'm using for the liquid lower third. Waiting for input from the team before I move forward with that tutorial. Might move on to the light meter demo first.

• CleverTagline

Yeah, I think the light meter is going to go first, if only because I just figured out how to have audio drive the meter in HitFilm Express. :) It's a hack, but I'm sure some Express users would love a hack over nothing at all.

I'm also thinking of making this a two-part series:

Part 1: Basic meter setup, useful for situations where you just want to have a meter for a control panel or something similar, and don't mind keyframing it.
    Part 2: How to have audio drive the meter in both HitFilm Express and Pro.

Splitting it up would keep the individual videos shorter and easier to produce, and also easier to "digest" for the viewer.

• Triem23

Two parts, yes. 

• CleverTagline

At long last, the script for part 1 of the light meter tutorial is done. Will likely start writing part 2 today.

In the meantime, I had to play some more.  :) I've seen lots of examples of people taking text and distorting it based on a black-and-white photo, with the photo merged into the text, so I decided to try it in HitFilm with my good buddy, Mr Rogers. Even though it's pretty easy, it's a fun look, so I'll probably add this to the tutorial list.