Clever Tagline: Pie anyone? (Nov 2021)

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

I just was meaning machine limits anyway.  I can appreciate how hard it is to do them.  I've made exactly one terrible one, and I may use all the video I'm shooting of the Baby Yoda cake build for the last week to make one of that but it's undecided as yet.  Kind of waiting to see if it flies or flops first :)

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,426 Ambassador

@CleverTagline Good news! Hope it works our well for you.

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador

Forgot to change the title when I posted the video above. Forgive the bump.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert
  • CleverTagline

It's been ages since I played with Blender, so I decided to dabble in some simple lighting and texturing experiments, and something I saw recently while building a title screen for a church project inspired me to make a Christmas ball. This may eventually become something more than a test, but for now it's just a spinning ball.

My first thought was to make the ball translucent so you could barely make out the pattern on the other side. The white line work is a free image I found, and I applied a subtle procedural texture to the red portion. (These videos are both 1080p, but they were just uploaded, plus YouTube is compressing the snot out of them, so you might need to force the player to 1080p to see them clearly.)

I kinda-sorta liked how this turned out, but I knew it could be better:

• Even though I spent a good bit of time tweaking the translucency, I ended up not really liking it, so I got rid of it in favor of a solid surface, with with a soft matte finish for the red portion.
    • The procedural pattern in the red portion was too understated, so I enhanced the contrast a bit.
    • The linework shares some of the same procedural pattern (it did in the first version as well), but I tweaked the mottled specular properties of the linework a bit more.
    • I pushed the lighting to aim for greater realism. V1 felt too flat and even, and the ball edges were too sharp.

I like V2 much better. I might still tweak some things, but this feels pretty close to final for me.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

Nice material. Pretty. 😊

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

That is really nice. There is a lot of very subtle, fine detail going on there.

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 983 Enthusiast

... and looks good to me too.

I like the texture and think I know the type of bauble you're going for: slightly opaque.

I did think I saw a reflection of Santa's face in there for a moment but it was just a pattern. 😀

• CleverTagline

@Triem23 @FilmSensei @DafterThings Thanks for the comments. I feel that I should "come clean" about this piece, though.

I didn't make it in Blender. This is pure HitFilm.

My opening remark—"It's been ages since I played with Blender"—is the truth, but I just threw that in there as a little misdirection. My real reason for this test was to make it look as real as possible in HitFilm without using an actual 3D object, or even lights.

This was made using HitFilm's Sphere effect. Instead of rotating the sphere, I created a comp to contain the texture. The white artwork is an image I found online, and I dropped a solid red plane behind it. To break it up, I used different types of fractal noise: Fluid for the big swirls that affect both the red and white parts, and Clouds for the smaller, more subtle color changes to the red to give it that matte-texture look. I then parented all that stuff to a point layer and animated the point moving sideways, which created the impression of a rotating ball with the Sphere effect applied to it in the main comp.

Most of the lighting on the sphere is an environment map image I found online. I applied a blur to it, dropped the opacity just a touch, put it under a grade layer, and targeted that grade with the Environment Map property on the Sphere effect. I then added three Vignette effects with different settings to darken the edges of the ball to make it feel like the light tapers off around the sides.

To create the specular sheen in the white pattern, I duplicated the main sphere layer, removed the vignettes, then used Crush Blacks and Whites to isolate certain tones, Blur to soften it just a touch, and Demult knock out the black, with a couple oblong masks on this layer to isolate the effect to certain parts of the sphere and make it look like it's reflecting specific light sources.

• FilmSensei

Very impressive!

• Triem23
  • Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,149 Ambassador
  • FilmSensei

What a fantastic tutorial! I have a question... At 9:16 minutes, since Big Blocks 5 is essentially everything else that isn't covered by Big Blocks 1-4, couldn't you just drop a White Plane there and call it good?

• CleverTagline

You know, @FilmSensei, I had that exact thought...in the middle of editing the tutorial. 🤣 While building the system, though, I was so focused on sticking with the pattern that I'd established with the first four "Big Blocks" composite shots that I didn't take the time to see if that was really the optimal way to approach it. I normally do an optimization pass of the project file before recording demos, but in my mind everything was already optimized. Only in the middle of the edit did the white plane idea hit me, but I felt that I was too far into production to re-record that portion, and I didn't want to clutter up the screen with text explaining the idea. I might just pin a note to the comments.

• FilmSensei

@CleverTagline That makes total sense. I was afraid maybe I was missing something and was going to feel like a total idiot when you explained it to me! 😁

Wonderful tutorial!

• CleverTagline

My original version of the Marauder's Map footprint effect (made last fall) used the particle system in HitFilm Pro, but I wanted to see if I could come up with a version for HitFilm Express, with the idea of maybe doing a two-part tutorial. My first version from a couple days ago was passable, but I kept messing around with things, and while playing with a spinoff idea today, I ended up hitting upon a combination of effects that looked a lot better, and ended up achieving something that I thought would only be possible with a lot of particle trickery in Pro. In the end, I like this Express version better, so I'm going to call this good and lock it in as the next tutorial.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,149 Ambassador

Wow like it, my guess is a feathered mask, moving to reveal the foot prints?

• tddavis

@CleverTagline Sweet! Looks really great!

• Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,004 Enthusiast

Im guessing a set matte reveal with particles? The texture would be the footprints? Just a guess! It looks good either way

• CleverTagline

@tddavis Thanks!

@Andy001z @Andersen01498 The footprints are being dynamically created, not revealed. The earlier version from last fall used particles in Pro, but this is Express, so it's completely particle free. What's cool is that I could have the footprints walk a totally different path in just a few minutes. Also notice how each footprint's dissolve is unique. No two footprints dissolve in exactly the same way.

All in all, there are ten layers spread across three composite shots, though I'm thinking about breaking part of the system into a fourth composite shot to add more flexibility. Frankly, I wasn't sure I could pull off something this good in Express when I first started experimenting with the idea, and I almost settled with my first basic attempt. The "what if I tried this?" side of my brain went off on a tangent, though, and hit upon something that hadn't occurred to me at first, and it turned out to be the magic sauce to make it so much better.

• tddavis
    edited February 5

@CleverTagline God, 20 to 25 years ago my tired old brain had tangents working on computers, but I have lost that ability it seems in the intervening years. I can only do cookie recipe effects that others come up with and I don't recall the how anymore beyond about 2 months. 😁

• Triem23

Hmmm. I look forward to seeing this.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert
  • Andersen01498
    Andersen01498 Posts: 1,004 Enthusiast

@CleverTagline I will be the 1st obnoxious person that says 1st LIKE on your video LMAO

• georgefilmltd
    georgefilmltd Posts: 485 Enthusiast

Nice, really captures the feel of the Prisoner of Azkaban!

• CleverTagline

I think I've said this before, but clearly I haven't learned the lesson yet, so I'll say it again: I really should stop teasing a tutorial with "Coming soon" unless it's nearly done and ready to release.

So why isn't that footprint tutorial out yet? It's not for a lack of time. It's largely a lack of energy. Long long long long story short, I just don't have it in me these days to produce anything. Ironically I'm in the middle of producing a video course about another tool (Airtable), but even getting that done has been a struggle. Maybe once that wraps I'll get some juice back. No idea. In the end, I don't know when I'll have the oomph to revisit that footprint tutorial, or anything else for that matter. Sorry for over-promising and under-delivering.

• Triem23

Trust me, dude, I understand.

I might actually get around to finishing a tutorial on slow/fast motion in Hitfilm, but the motivation will be being tired of typing up or copy/pasting the same stuff twice a week.

• tddavis
    edited September 2

Sorry for over-promising and under-delivering.

You are not alone. 😁 I've become more of an ideas man and less of execution.