Clever Tagline: Pie anyone? (Nov 2021)

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,315 Ambassador

@FilmSensei Ah, good point. I'd forgotten that there was a release separation between Pro and Express for quite a long time. Thanks for pointing that out! I'll work on that update now.

• CleverTagline

@FilmSensei @tddavis The chart is updated with a more accurate breakdown of numbers and dates. Two key areas are still fuzzy:

• The release dates and naming/numbering schemes prior to version 3. I put in rough guesses for the v2 releases, but left blank spaces for v1. If anyone can clarify those, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    • The official name for v12. The logo treatments shown so far, and the names mentioned in this article on CG Channel, all include the number 12, so I'm inclined to think that the numbers are coming back in the official names, perhaps for the same reason that I'm making this table. ;) Still, I'm leaving question marks on that line for now.
  • FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert
    edited February 2019

@CleverTagline I don't see any change in the page yet. Maybe it isn't uploaded yet?

I believe that HitFilm 1 (Standard) was introduced in 2011, but I don't know the exact date. (I didn't come along until 2)

According to a news article I found, I believe HitFilm 2 Ultimate came out on November 4, 2013.

According to this page... https://fxhome.com/support/hitfilm-2-express/ HitFilm 2 Express was released on April 23, 2015.

• FilmSensei

This was published on May 15, 2011...

FXhome announces new video software

• CleverTagline

@FilmSensei Sorry...I thought I'd pressed "Update" on the page, but apparently did not. It's up now. About to make the changes based on your notes for v2. Thanks for digging into that!

• CleverTagline

I'm now seeing mention on at least one other site of what might've been the names of HitFilm's earliest versions:

HitFilm Standard
    HitFilm Ultimate
    HitFilm Studio

If anyone knows the release timelines for these, I'd love to add that to the list.

On a different note, I'm quite surprised to see that 3 Pro came out before 2 Express. Never knew that until now!

• FilmSensei
    edited February 2019

@#CleverTagline Now I see it! I don't believe there was an "Express" version of HitFilm Standard, but I could be wrong. If you were to link the Blog posts directly in your list, then anyone could look to see what features were added in each iteration. That would be really helpful! I recently did a tutorial using the Parallax effect, and I wanted to mention which version it was added in. I had to start each version and look to see if there was a Parallax effect until I couldn't find it. That's when I knew when it had been added. It would have been really nice to have the list! :)

• CleverTagline

@FilmSensei I dug through the old videos, and as far as I can tell, the first versions (HitFilm Ultimate and HitFilm Standard) were released in late June of 2011. June 27 was the last video where Josh talked about HitFilm coming soon, and then June 29th there began to be interface and feature walkthroughs, so I'm going to assume it's June unless someone from FXhome corrects me. :)

I know that the original Standard version wasn't free like the current Express, but then again neither was Express 2. I'd prefer to leave Standard in the Express column because of this.

• CleverTagline

@FilmSensei Working on adding the blog links, but I've gotta step aside and take care of some other stuff, so it may have to wait to wrap up until tonight.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

To clarify. 

Hitfilm 1 came out in  2011. There were two versions, "Standard" (later Express) and Ultimate (later Pro).

Ultimate was $399, Standard $149.

Hitfilm 2 released November, 2012. Again. This is when Hitfilm Standard became Hitfilm Express.

Express 2 was initially $149.

Express 2 was released for free in Summer, 2014.

Hitfilm Pro 3 released in November, 2014. Express 3 in May, 2015.

Pro 4, Nov 2015, Express 4 May 2016.

Pro 2017 released Nov. 2016, Express 2017 in May, 2017.

Pro (v6) released Nov, 2018. Express (v8) released in May, 2018. As of v8 Pro/Express releases have been in parity.

Fun note, as a Beta Tester we got a Hitfilm Express v7 to test. It was a surprise when the actual release version was v8.

Justin, you absolutely should put "Standard/Express" in the same column and "Ultimate/Pro" in the same column.

Hitfilm Studio? I can't find references to that term before 2017. There are a few varied OEM packs (Ignite Subsets) bundled with other NLEs (like Vegas). Perhaps one of those was named Studio?

Let's tag in @GavinBarker. He'll absolutely have access to all products and release dates. He could do any definitive corrections. 

• CleverTagline

@Triem23 Thanks for the update. Some of your listed release dates don't match the dates listed on FXhome pages, though. For example, you said Express 2 came out in the summer of 2014, but the official page linked above by @FilmSensei lists the date as April 2015. Unless you've got documentation indicating the 2015 date is a typo, I'll stick with that.

Got all the versions linked up with either blog posts, or the relevant version release notes.

• CleverTagline

Just republished the page with an updated slug to match how I'd changed the page title. The link is now:

http://justinsbarrett.com/hitfilm-version-timeline/

• Triem23
    edited February 2019

@CleverTagline I think they have a typo in the blog.

Here I link to Film Riot's Portal Combat - the promo film for Hitfilm 3 Express. Note this was released in July, 2015.

I figured it out. The official what's new page for Hitfilm Express 3 is only showing the final 3.1 update from April, 2016, but not the initial 3.0 release from 2015.

Here's a blog on Hitfilm Pro's evolution from Oct, 2015. In the article it discusses how Hitfilm Express 3 had already been released (citing Portal Combat).

https://fxhome.com/blog/evolution-hf3p/

https://www.provideocoalition.com/hitfilm-3-express-special-edition-free-a-limited-time/

And the provideocoalition link is about the December 2015 Special Edition Hitfilm Express 3. This particular version included Lightsword and Lightning (paid add-ons at the time) because it was a Christmas special and a Star Wars movie had just released.

I stand by my timeline, except  based on Portal Combat  HF3E might have released in July 2015, not May. 

• CleverTagline
    edited February 2019

@Triem23 It's July, per the blog post that @FilmSensei included above:

https://fxhome.com/blog/hf-3-express-out-now/

"Written by Simon Jones on 14th July 2015"

• FilmSensei

Hmmm. Gavin would know for sure. I think this is a great project. Thanks Justin!

• CleverTagline

It's been nearly a month since the last update, so I suppose I should say something.

First off, I neglected to post part 1 of the LED bar graph tutorial here back in mid-January when it went live to YouTube:

I really wanted to have part 2 done some time in February, but...well, let's just say things have been rough here, and as a result my productivity with all things HitFilm has been next to nil. I frankly don't know when anything is going to happen right now. I hate leaving things half-done, and I'm going to try my best to get part 2 of the LED piece out as soon as I can, but beyond that, nothing is certain, and that's about all I can say at the moment.  I'm sorry.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

A ) It's a shame your videos aren't getting tens of thousands of views; the only one that is mentioned Sam Kolder in the title, so...smh.
    B ) FXHome should actively give shoutouts on their channel to people making high quality tutorials when they're just making ones about moving a few lights about. They could fill some time on the streaming thing they do occasionally, or add links to the comments in EVERY video they do, or at least have the decency to subscribe to the channels, so people see alternatives when they go to the FXHome channel that the actual developers can be seen to be supporting them. PewDiePie? He can manage with one less subscriber.
    C ) Whatever's going on, take all the time you need. You don't owe your audience a thing and you're not even losing revenue. I'm intrigued what Part 2 is going to reveal, but I'm happy to wait. Anticipation is half the fun. :)

• Triem23

@Palacono FXHOME has absolutely given shout-outs to other tutorial channels in the past, including myself  @FilmSensei, Red Alert, and, yes, once Justin. More certainly isn't a bad idea, but it's been done. And each time I've gotten an FXHOME shout-out there's been a nice, visible subscriber bump.

I will never understand the popularity of unboxing videos  Sam Kolder, Pewdiepie or Logan Paul. Then again, I have 1) taste, and 2) am old. 

Whenever, Justin. I understand the difficulties of fitting tutorials around life. Especially in my case, where I'm recovering from a shoulder and back injury and my computer chair is a torture device . 

• CleverTagline
    *looks at the last date I posted*

Six months ago...

*sigh*

I shared an update on the channel...uh...*checks*...four months ago, hoping that there was some good news just around the corner that would allow me to get back into production. Sadly, there wasn't, and it's still pretty touch-and-go. We're being forced to vacate our current residence at the end of November. Depending on how some other work-related stuff goes, we may get to stay in the area, or we might end up moving across the country to live with my wife's parents for a bit. They're at the point where they could use someone there on a more regular basis, so it would be a good thing for them, but almost a complete reset-button operation for us. Through all that, I keep trying to find some time to squeeze HitFilm into the schedule. It hasn't worked yet, but I keep trying.
  • tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@CleverTagline Justin,  I have just been wondering where you had gone as I scrolled through my posts trying to find one specific one and get running across your posts too.  I knew your last posts referenced hard times and sorry to hear they are still hanging on.  Glad to see you back if only for a brief post here and there.

• CleverTagline

'Nother quick update. Still hoping to get back into production, and there actually appears to be a sliver of light at the end of this annoyingly-long tunnel. Before that can happen, though, we have to move.

A week before Thanksgiving, we will be moving across the country to live with my wife's parents for an undetermined period of time. Long story short, they're getting older, and olderness isn't being very kind to them. My wife and I are in the best position to assist, so that's what we're going to do. Thankfully a certain amount of the work I do is online, so continuing that won't be a problem. What other work I find to do in our new locale is yet to be determined, so initially at least, I'll have some free time back, and plan on using that to get tutorials flowing again.

Between now and the move, I'm swamped with other work, on top of the myriad tasks required to prepare for a move where we're not taking the majority of our belongings with us. So the HitFilm hiatus must, sadly, continue.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,426 Ambassador

@CleverTagline Best of luck!  Been there done that. I gave up a great production job to come home and take care of aging parents.  No regrets, though.  It was some time with them I would have never had.  I'm sure your wife appreciates what you're doing.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@CleverTagline Have a safe and easy move, Justin.  I know it's never fun... :)

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert

Same here, stay positive @CleverTagline .

• CleverTagline

✅ Move halfway across the country
    ✅ Set up computer in new space
    ___ Figure out production schedule

...to be continued...

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,194 Expert

Nice @CleverTagline, you're there dude. :)

• Triem23

@CleverTagline busy times! 

I'm in the midst of

• Travel to Ireland. 
    • Set up bank/financial accounts. 
    • Find place to live/facility to purchase (Wife is buying a bar). 
    • Return to US, finish house repairs, list/sell. 
    • Move across the Atlantic. We're taking the cats. 
    • Set up workspace. 

Hope things haven't been too painful thus far and progress continues apace. Life is change. Beats the alternative. 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,426 Ambassador

@CleverTagline Awesome!  Sounds like you're almost back in business.  Good to see you (at least virtually) :)

• CleverTagline

Yet another puzzle piece is about to be added to the mix: starting January 2, I'll have a full-time job.

I'll share more details once the paperwork is all done in January, but I'll be working in marketing and community relations for a sports team. I've been waiting for this situation to settle before working too heavily on a new HitFilm production schedule, and hoped that the onboarding for this new job would happen sooner than January, but I can understand how they probably don't want to mess with the paperwork to add me for the remaining few weeks of the year.

Anyway, because I'll be doing a mix of work in and out of the team office, with some stuff bleeding outside a typical 9-5 schedule, it's tough to predict how this will impact my available time for Clever Tagline production. For starters, though, I'm going to aim fairly conservatively and try for one "major" video per month. I've also got ideas in mind for a series of fairly short tip videos that might be weekly, or perhaps every other week, but I'm probably going to hold off on those until I see how the bigger stuff comes together. And of course, the first of the bigger videos will be part 2 of the LED bar graph tutorial. In fact, with the spare time I've got between now and January 2, it's possible this could be the first release of the new year.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm also starting another channel? ;) More on that later...